Chapter 30

I'd never worked in a garden before. But Habuin set me up to work the second I made the offer. Braden, Bradley, and Rax had nothing to do but follow along.

  For hours we tilled the ground, organized seeds, and cut sugarcane. By the time we were done, the sun was beginning to set in the sky.

  "Blazes, I'm nervous," Braden muttered. Rax nodded beside him and I saw his hand go near his battle axe, even though we'd said we're just going to talk.

  "So what's going to happen?" I asked Habuin. Was he going to start shaking and yelling or were we not going to notice it?

  "After the first couple of days I started walking off into the woods so I wouldn't know where I was, but Herobrine always managed to get me to end up back here," he told me, face paling.

  "And you don't remember any of it?"

  "Yeah."

  A gust of wind blew through the small farm. A couple of cows mooed and shied away from us, as if they knew what was about to happen.

  "I'm not sure how it's going to go down," admitted Habuin. He glanced around at us each in turn and then said, "I'll see you in the morning."

...

  Gregor, Jane, Ben, Ridge, Lora, and Grace dashed through the back streets. They were running in a small complex of alleyways that started behind the pub where they'd been planning.

  "What do we do?" Lora cried.

  Jane looked at her as if she were insane. "We keep running!"

  Gregor would've laughed if he weren't so scared. Sword in hand, he followed his friends as they tried to find a way out of the alleys.

  "Those guards know this city!" He reminded his friends. "They'll be able to find us!"

  Ridge cursed under his breath. "Okay, everybody stop!"

  Not arguing, Gregor halted and took a second to breathe.

  "Where are we going to go?" Ben asked. "We can't fight all those guards, there are far too many of them. We need to go do something."

  Gregor racked his brain. Were they just to leave the city? What about the townspeople?

  "Hey! You down there!" A voice called.

  Not ready to stay long, Gregor's legs prepared to bolt, but Jane grabbed his arm.

  A figure, one of a girl no more than 12 appeared out of the shadows. She looked unkept, which went with her accent. She wore overalls and carried a nest of ratty hair on her head. Gregor felt bad as he wished he'd never met her upon first sight.

  "What do you want?" Asked Ridge with a growl in his voice. He raised his sword into a familiar attack posistion.

  The girl, however, didn't look fazed, to Gregor's surprise. "I'd like to know what you and your friends thing you is doing down 'ere." She spoke as if she owned the place and it made him want to punch her.

  Ben glanced around at the faces of his friends. "Why do you care?"

  "Because you folks look lost."

  Gregor hefted his sword. "And what business does that lie with you?" 

  She stared at him, as if she knew that he didn't like her, and didn't mind. Then, keeping her head level to his, dispite his being much taller than her, she said, "Becuase I can lead you out of here and make sure you never have to deal with Herobrine again."

...

  He was there. I felt it. There was a rising in the air. Darkness began to gather. Herobrine had arrived.

  My hand was on my bow as it hung by my side, just in case. My friends seemed tense. They could tell what was about to happen too. We were about to talk to Herobrine for the first time since that day in the jungle.

  Habuin began to speak, but I knew it wasn't him. The voice was raspy and all too familiar.

  "Braden, Bradley, Rax, and Ender. I've been waiting to talk to you all day."

  I tried to keep my jaw straight and tried to keep myself from punching Habuin in the face.

  "Why did you possess this guy?" Asked Bradley.

  Laughing, Herobrine said, "I have my reasons and you have yours. I really don't know why you thought I'd tell you anything. But as you said, you have all night, so ask away."

  How does he know I said that? I thought. It seemed wherever I went I could never escape the ears of Herobrine. He'd followed me half my life.

  "Or how about I talk to you outright? That's what you want isn't it?" Herobrine laughed and the night seemed to get deeper. 

  "Just tell us what we want to know," said Rax.

  Chuckling, once again, Herobrine shook Habuin's head. "Oh, Rax. You sure are an interesting character. Hiding your feelings, hiding your opinions, hiding yourself. Why, you hide them so much some people think you don't have them at all."

  Bradley glanced at Rax as he drew his axe. None of us said anything, but maybe we should have.

  "And when you do show your feelings it comes out in short, irritable bursts. You yell at people, you hurt people. Sometimes you leave during missions to save important Resistance leaders."

  Rax's face grew red as I wondered how Herobrine knew he had left the group before. Was he following us this entire time?

  "Don't listen to him, Rax," said Braden. "He's just toying with your mind."

  "Braden Allessi," said Herobrine, changing his mind on who he wanted to torture. "You too are someone we like to talk about back at the fortress."

  Braden's attention turned from encouraging Rax. "What do you mean?"

  "I mean you never talk to anyone. You're always so scared and timid. Nearly like a girl." Braden began to look as angry as Rax. "And when I did one thing to your family you felt like you had to join the Resistance, even though you don't trust them."

  "'One thing?'" Braden roared. "You killed them! And I am not a girl! I work out!" He loaded his bow and pointed it to Habuin's face, forgetting the person Herobrine was possessing.

  "Oh and Bradley, always admired by your peers for strength and power, but having such burdens."

  Bradley unsheathed his sword. "I don't know what you're talking about."

  Habuin laughed. "Of course you do. Your radioactive powers. You can see in the dark, look into people's inventories, run fast, you're strong. You're practically a super hero, but that doesn't matter."

  "Oh yeah? How come?"

  "Because, frankly, you're weird. Oh and you killed Rax's best friend. Now you two have had the arguement about it being how you sent him out to fight me and you stayed where you where cause you told him too, blah blah blah.

  "But you forget that I was there. I saw you with your powers. I saw you accidentaly blast away the blocks protecting what'shisname. I saw you slowly realize as he died that it was your fault."

  Bradley raised his weapon into fighting position. "You do not want to mess with me! I am all powerful!"

  "Yeah, yeah." 

  Herobrine made Habuin turn to me, all three of my friends ready to kill him and said, "Now Ender, why don't we talk about you?"

-----------------------------------------------------

I've been staying in Vermont for spring break to ski so that's fun.

What are you guys doing for spring break?

Oh and two in a day! Score!