Chapter 28

"Are you ready for this?" She whispered into his ear.

  Gregor grinned. How could he not be? He and Jane were crouched on an outcropping overlooking a town on a lake called Aqua Oppidum. Their job was to wait for the signal, a loud creeper moan. That would mean that Ben and Ridge had found the guards' control office. Grace and Lora were patrolling the streets, taking notice of the patterns Herobrine's guards followed. The plan was perfectly laid out. And soon he and Jane would be raiding the guards' office to take control of them. It had been a while since Gregor had done something as fun as this.

  After a few minutes of waiting, the signal came. The moan rolled through the narrow streets of Aqua Oppidum and up to where Gregor and Jane waited.

  "Okay, so where are they signaling from?" He muttered.

  Jane scanned the horizon and saw a light flashing from a town on the edge of town. "Found it, Gregor."

  They memorized the location of the tower and stood. It was time to go to town.

  They were standing under the tower.

  "So Ben and Ridge are up in there?" Gregor asked. Jane nodded beside him. "So all we have to do is climb up there?" Jane nodded again.

  The office was completely empty besides their friends, they soon found out.

  "How come no one's watching this place?" Jane asked as they looked over the town from their high perch in the tower.

  Gregor saw black figures, the guards, walking around the town. It wasn't uncommon to see one beating up or bullying a peasant. Everytime he witnessed it he would cringe.

  "Time to take control, Gregor, pay attention. You're our watch guy," Jane said, starting to work with the buttons and wires on the control panel.

  "I'm always the watch guard," Gregor complained. "How come I can't work with the panel? I am literally an inventor. I'll understand this kind of this better than you would."

  Ben and Ridge looked like they both agreed, but didn't say anything.

  Jane sighed. "Can't you just deal with it Gregor?"

  "Plus I'm older than you," he added.

  "No you're not. Just becuase you look 15 doesn't mean you are."

  "Actually I am and you're still 13. Now just let me work on the panel please."

  Groaning, Jane unsheathed her sword and walked to the edge of the tower, looking out over the town. Gregor flashed her a grin and winked before leaning over the control panel.

  The buttons and switches all made sense to him. He pushed the one that said "Microphone" and began to speak, just like their plan.

  "All guards report to food cellars. All guards report to food cellars. Call in upon arrival. Repeat, all guards to food cellars. Call in upon arrival. Cease all other tasks and report to food cellars," he said in a commanding voice.

  Hanging up the microphone, Gregor saw Ridge and Ben giving him looks of approval. He leaned against the post that sat in the middle of the town outpost, twisting his sword in his hand.

  "What a nice way to spend a day." He was pretty sure he saw Jane rolling her eyes at him.

  "Hey guys," said a voice. Gregor watched as Grace and Lora climbed up into the outpost, bows strapped over their backs.

  "How was it? Anything we should know?" Ridge asked.

  "Nothing really," said Grace as she stretched her arms. "Those guards just go around bullying the townspeople all day. They seemed to all be heading to the food cellar for the past few minutes. At least, that's where they were probably going, I don't know where it is."