CHAPTER FOUR - Rude Boy

C H A P T E R - F O U R

I sat down next to April. The teacher wasn’t here yet so all the students were sitting on tables, drawing rude things on the boards, texting and generally having a good time.

“We have Creative writing first thing.” April says cheerily and I turn my head to look at her. I smile, looking around at my classmates for the year. April sat there, chewing a long clump of her hair. I narrowed my eyes at her and she saw me staring at her.

“Oh, I chew my hair when I get scared or nervous.” She says and I chuckle.

“Why are you nervous?” I ask. Everything seemed okay so far. I didn’t think April would sit near me but she did. She seemed as if she was new too.

“Every year we change classes. It’s scary finding out who might be in your class.” She explains and I nod. I push my fringe back and watch the door. I notice ‘Rude Boy’, who I’d learnt is called Lucas and the girl who laughed at me walk in, holding hands. She had her head on his shoulder, giggling loudly. They walked along the desks with a gang following them then suddenly the girl’s happy laughter stopped.

Her stare turned quite cold when she saw me. Had I struck a nerve by just being in the room? Apparently I had. I looked away, fiddling with my bag on the desk in front of me. I could feel their angry stares on me while I tried my best to ignore them.

“Look Lucas, a girl is in our seats.” She says loud enough for me to hear. I can see April tense up, panicking by chewing her hair again. I smile at her to reassure her but she stares formidably at me.

“Not just any girl, Paige.” Lucas smirks maliciously. “But stalker girl who stays in my apartment building.”

Paige laughs in a shrill voice that was rather annoying. I frowned down at the table when they all approached. “And the freak chewing her hair,” Paige laughed at April and I scowled viciously at her.

“They’re our seats.” Spat the girl next the Paige with jet black hair and a nose piercing. Her eyes heavily surrounded by black eyeliner and mascara. I chuckled lightly at myself and leaned back in my chair making myself much more comfortable to rub it in their face. I wasn’t going to give up my seat because they demanded very nastily. I wasn’t going to give in and move. April had grabbed her bag and made to get up, but I grasped her arm, pulling her back.

“Sit April, I don’t see their names on the seats and I’m pretty sure they weren’t sitting here a year ago either.” I answer back smugly. I could see Paige clenching her teeth and a Lucas, a blank expression. April sits back down and Lucas comes closer to my desk. I watch his finger tapping the table then he slams his knuckles down making me and April jump backwards. I pull myself together and glare at him.

“And what’s slamming your fists on the desk going to accomplish?” I raise an eyebrow at him. I can see him biting his tongue, anger burning in his eyes. I smiled at this and it only agitated him more. Paige stepped forward, locking her thing fingers in Lucas’s.

“Leave the idiot. She’ll regret this.” She snarled. Lucas retreated and walked away to the other side of the room. I waved them off, to really annoy him. His gang followed him and a boy with ginger hair growled at us before he left.