s i x

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙄𝙓—𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘵𝘩—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙄𝙓
—𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘵𝘩—

     𝘽𝘼𝙄𝙇𝙀𝙔 𝙎𝙄𝙉𝙆𝙎 𝙄𝙉𝙏𝙊 her mattress, tossing her backpack onto the carpeted floor beside her bed. With a heavy sigh, the girl relaxes and places her hands on her torso. The day, to put it gently, had been absolutely terrible. Not only did Jax leave her for Emma, but she was late to her first period class and had tripped while in the cafeteria. And then, as if the day couldn't have possibly gotten any worse, a storm had blown in from the north, and had soaked Bailey on her short journey from her car to her house. And the storm made everything worse— because Bailey, since she was a child, hated storms.

The thunder would roll every few minutes, followed by a far-off strike of lightning. The sudden sounds always made the Dai girl terrified, which brought her to close her blinds and curtains, before cowering to her soft bed. But that wouldn't drown out the booms that echoed through the sky. And, of course, her parents still weren't home; so here she was, stuck in her room, and seeking a distraction from her current fear.

As if fate had heard her silent plead, the doorbell rang out. But Bailey didn't want to move from her spot. Almost no one knew where she lived, therefore it was a large possibility that her visitor was none other than the cause of her— literally— rainy day. The brunette didn't want to see Jax Novoa. She was almost sure that if she did, her actions would be drastic; maybe she'd break into tears, slam the door in his face, or even confess her heart's desires. And absolutely none of those were acceptable at the moment, at least in her eyes.

The girl sucks in a sharp breath as the doorbell rings again, sitting up as slowly as she could. While biting her lip, she exits her room, descends the stairs, and hesitated once she reaches the door. Bailey rubs her socks against the hardwood flooring, trying to convince herself that she should leave him standing outside in the rain— didn't he deserve it? After what he had pulled with her today, she should have done just that.

But her heart told her differently, and she listened to it.

Opening the door, she comes face-to-face with Jax. He looks relieved to see her, although he's not wet like she presumed he would be— instead, he holds an umbrella in his hand, adjusting his grip as his eyes meet hers.

"I think we should talk . . . " he trails off, clearing his throat. "Can I come in, please?"

Bailey stares blankly back at him, blinking in response. "Then give me one reason," her voice cracks, telling him all the secrets that she hadn't told him yet. "Just give me one reason as to why I should let you come inside."

"Because I am so sorry, Bailey, I—"

"Sorry isn't good enough, because we had a conversation about this yesterday." Bailey states, crossing her arms over her chest, and walking into the living room. Jax takes this as his invitation inside, stepping into the home, leaving his umbrella on the doorstep, and closing the door behind him. "You said that you were over Emma— in fact, you promised not only that the two of you weren't on speaking terms, but that you no longer had feelings for her."