e p i l o g u e

𝙀𝙋𝙄𝙇𝙊𝙂𝙐𝙀—𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳—

𝙀𝙋𝙄𝙇𝙊𝙂𝙐𝙀
—𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳—

     𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝘾𝙃𝙄𝙇𝙇𝙄𝙉𝙂 𝘼𝙐𝙏𝙐𝙈𝙉 air brushes lightly across Bailey Dai's face, whipping her hair back in the slightest. The girl taps her foot expectantly, her cell phone held to her ear as she speaks softly to her mother. Jax Novoa glances up to her as she joins him, taking the chair next to him. He holds a black bowl full of candy, all of the best kinds he knew the trick-or-treaters would surely love— and although it was expensive, Bailey had convinced him that it was better to go out and buy it than to snap his fingers and have it appear in his hands.

With a feathered orange-and-black boa draped loosely around her neck, she places her hand into Jax's, shooting him a warm smile. It was Halloween now, and the trees outside of her home were almost bare; the leaves had fallen off, gracing the ground with their vibrant fall colors. Her favorite holiday was now here, and she was able to spend it with her favorite person in the world— her boyfriend, Jax.

"Yes, mom," the girl chuckles into her phone, "Jax is here with me. And I'll be fine, it's not like someone would kidnap me when I'm right outside of the house—"

"I will protect her, Alanna," Jax speaks loudly, leaning close to Bailey's phone. Bailey rolls her eyes, turning on the speaker so Jax could now join in on the conversation. "There's nothing to worry about."

"Okay Jax, I'm counting on you," Alanna says, her laugh echoing over the phone. "I expect that when Brent and I get home, you'll join us for dinner again."

"Of course I will," the boy grins, shooting a smug wink to Bailey.

"I'll leave you alone, Bailey, I'm sure you want some time with Jax. So call me when you get a chance to. I love you, sweetie."

"Okay, bye mom, I love you too." Ending the call, she slides her phone underneath her thighs and shifts her attention to the dark-haired boy. "I think my parents like you more than they like me."

"Oh, please," he snorts, tossing an arm around her shoulder and placing a kiss on her forehead. "You're the most loveable person I've ever met in my—"

"Hey, guys," a familiar voice greets. "Having fun?"

Emma and Daniel walk across the road pavement, hand-in-hand with radiant smiles on their faces. They looked genuinely happy, and the sight warmed Bailey's heart.

"Who wouldn't have fun?" She speaks up as Jax rubs soothing circles on the back of her hand. "It's the best day of the year."

"You can say that again— I have big news," Emma tells them, stopping just in front of them. "I talked to the council on behalf of your relationship, and they agreed that as long as Jax doesn't break any rules like he used to, you're free to live happily. But, of course, no one else can know about Jax's powers other than you, Bailey."

Bailey was pulled into Jax's right embrace, a giggle leaving her lips as her body heats up with excitement. This was the moment she had been waiting for since the day he met him. The moment when all of the missing pieces of her puzzle fell into place, and her heart was complete.

"Really?" Jax asks, shellshocked. "You did that for us, Emma?"

"What are friends for?" She grins, leaning into Daniel's side. "The two of you deserve to be happy."

So that's how things fell into place— slowly, but surely, and with many false pretenses and moments of hesitance. That was how Bailey Dai moved to a new town, not expecting to find a group of people that would change her life forever. That's how she fell in love with a mysterious boy, who turned out to be a magical being.

And that's how Jax Novoa finally got the happily ever after he always deserved.

_______