e i g h t

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙀𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏—𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙀𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏
—𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦—

𝘽𝘼𝙄𝙇𝙀𝙔 𝙇𝘼𝙐𝙂𝙃𝙀𝘿 𝙊𝙐𝙏 loud, trying to stifle her giggles as she looked over his sullen expression. She didn't want to be outside with him, let alone hear excuses he made, or jokes he wanted to tell to settle the air. The Dai girl couldn't believe these were the lengths he would go to in order to get her attention; why would he even say something like that? And even past that, he shouldn't have come back . . . not after what she had been through earlier. Her heart was still broken; it was a sure fact, she found, especially when she was face-to-face with him and faking a smile.

"You don't expect me to believe that, do you?" Bailey raises an eyebrow, composing herself. "Jax, what are you really here for? I don't have time for playing games right now— my parents are inside waiting for me."

"And I know that, but what I'm saying right now is extremely important, and I need you to just listen," his eyes beg her, sincerity dripping from his lips like sweet molasses. "Everything I'm going to tell you is true because I wouldn't lie to you. Not anymore, at least. Because all the things I said about Emma, I—"

She would have listened. Bailey would've stayed outside in the cool autumn air and believed every single word that came from his mouth, not matter how crazy it was. No matter how much she hated— no, despised it— she trusted Jax more than she trusted anyone else. And it was extreme to think that way, based upon the fact that they had only met days ago. Yet Bailey felt as thought she'd known him her whole life.

But she didn't get to listen.

"Bailey, what's wrong, dear?" A calm, sweet voice comes from behind them, along with the soft creaking of the front door. "Oh, I didn't realize you had someone coming over. Who's your friend?"

Jax notices that Bailey looks quite similar to her mother. They share the same dark hair, bright smile, and honey eyes. But in this moment, her mother seems more content than Bailey. Although he could understand why the girl would react to his arrival in such a way . . . but he wanted to change that. When the opportunity showed itself, he would— that was certain.

"Mom, this is Jax," Bailey clears her throat, turning around to face her mother. "He's a friend from school."

"Hello," Jax chuckles, waving to Bailey's mother. "I'm sorry for interrupting, Mrs. Dai, I was just stopping by to speak with Bailey."

"No, no, that's quite alright," the older woman shakes her head, opening the door wider, "and please, call me Alanna. Would you like to join us for dinner, Jax?"