22 | Puzzle Pieces

"Has he said anything?"

"No, but the Prewetts managed to bring in him and Malfoy, so that's two less Death Eaters roaming free."

Hermione groaned as her consciousness slowly came back to her. She tried to open her eyes, but they felt so incredibly heavy.

"Hermione!"

"I'm here," she mumbled, bringing a hand to her temple. What was wrong with her?

"Hi there," Lily said softly, coming to sit by her bed. "You took quite the hit back there."

"What happened?" she asked hoarsely.

"We're not really sure, exactly," Remus replied, standing next to Lily. "We were hoping you could tell us."

Hermione sat up slowly, feeling the hesitance in her own muscles. As far as she could see, there were no wounds on her body, or any particular injury she could detect. Yet her body felt weak and dreary, like the time she woke up from being petrified back in second year.

"I was immobilized... and then Bellatrix hit me with a curse. I honestly thought I was about to die- the curse was green."

This information seemed to give both her friends a pause as Remus and Lily glanced at each other in concern.

"Severus and Sirius must not have seen what hit you, they couldn't say. But you were incredibly weak when they brought you back here," Lily told her. "You've been recovering steadily, but we're not quite sure what she did to you, or what fixed you."

"Well I think I'm fine," Hermione thought aloud.

"Strange," Remus muttered.

"And the others?" Hermione asked suddenly. Are they safe?

"All fine," Lily assured. "Sirius and Severus brought you back, and the Prewetts brought in Pettigrew and Malfoy thanks to them."

"That's a relief," Hermione sighed, sagging back into her bed. At least they'd done what they set out to and gotten out with everyone intact.

~o~o~o~

~ Headquarters

It had barely been a day since their successful mission, and they were already gathered around the kitchen. Molly had insisted on coming to make sure Hermione was well fed and cared for- at least for the day. And where Molly went, her loyal family followed. The kitchen was alive with happy conversation and laughter from the little ones. Hermione and Lily had insisted Severus join them for breakfast, and the boys were actually managing to behave. It was the moment of peace that reminded them what they were fighting for. Hermione could almost forget they were in the middle of a war.

"Having fun without us, Molls? I'm insulted," a grinning Gideon asked as he and his twin made their way into the room.

"Gideon! Fabian!" Hermione exclaimed, running up to throw her arms around the pair of them. They chuckled fondly at her before they collectively lifted her off the ground in a bear hug between them.

"Sorry we couldn't get here sooner," Fabian apologized. "We've been helping Moody with the interrogations."

Ahh... Pettigrew and Malfoy. "Anything?"

"Not yet," Gideon sighed grimly. "But they'll break soon enough."

Hermione's skin prickled for a brief second, as if she were being watched. When she glanced back, she barely caught Sirius' head turning back to the other Marauders, and she wondered if she just imagined it.