24 | The Traitor & Matchmaker

Sorry for the long wait. I've been sitting on this chapter for a while, never entirely happy with how it was turning out. But I suppose the best way is power through instead of remaining stuck and making you all wait so long. Still not entirely happy, but it gets the job done and hopefully the next chapters will spark more fluidity. Thanks for your patience <3 

~ silverstorme 

~o~o~o~  

"Fabian!" Hermione exclaimed, heading straight into his arms. "Where's Gideon?" 

"He's in there with Pettigrew right now. Though I must say I didn't expect the entire cavalry."

The marauders shuffled their feet uncomfortably behind Hermione. They all decided to make a trip out together to see Pettigrew once Moody had let Hermione know they could. Yet the closer they got to his holding cell, the more nervous they became. 

Lily shrugged. "They deserve answers. Besides, seeing us all at once might unnerve him just enough to get what you need from him." 

Gideon stepped out of the room, the heavy metal door swinging closed behind him. 

"Good luck," he told them wryly. "He's a real piece of work." 

Taking a deep breath, James squared his shoulders, bravely leading the others into the room. 

"You're not going with them?" Fabian asked Hermione once the door closed behind the bunch. 

"No," she shook her head. "I think they need this closure, and I don't really have anything to say to him." 

"You guys look horrible by the way," Hermione observed wryly. 

"We've been holed up here for the last few days," Gideon sighed. "Those bastards have valuable information, we just need to get them to talk." 

"That and you've been sleeping on my couch since you don't technically have a home to return to," Fabian added dryly. 

"What?" That was news to Hermione. "What does he mean, Gideon? Was there another attack?" 

"No- not at all-" Gideon sputtered. 

"Brother dear has oh so graciously offered his flat to the McKinnons," Fabian smirked, shrugging innocently at his brother's glare. 

"It's only temporary," Gideon argued, his face tinged red. "What was I supposed to do? They needed a safe place to stay!"    

Hermione bit back a smile. "Oh of course, that's rather chivalrous." 

"Oh chivalry has nothing to do with it," Fabian laughed. "I think he's rather pleased knowing a certain witch is sleeping in his bed every night."

Gideon smacked his twin's head. "Get your head out of the gutter." 

"Oh please," Fabian ruffled his hair straight. "I know how you think, brother mine. We've both been rolling in the same gutter since birth." 

"So..." Hermione could no longer hide the shit eating grin spreading on her face. "Marlene. Since when?"   

"Not you too," Gideon groaned. 

Fabian and Hermione chuckled, enjoying Gideon's squirming. Hermione was rather glad at this news. Marlene seemed like a decent witch, and Gideon would be great to her given the chance. Besides, that would keep her out of Sirius' way. As much as she despised herself for feeling relief at that, she'd be lying to herself if she didn't admit it.