08 | All We Can Do

Sirius was true to his word, making himself comfy in the Potters' living room couch and loitering through their kitchen. The Potters and Longbottoms had a meeting with McGonagall and until they returned, their house was otherwise unoccupied. Sirius had taken it upon himself to watch over Hermione, justifying it to himself because she wasn't back up to full strength.

He'd been flipping through Lily's collection of those muggle movies when he heard a blood curling scream tear through the peaceful cottage. Hermione.

Sirius bound up the stairs, a million scenarios racing through his head. Maybe Peter somehow heard who she was and came to the cottage to take her out himself? There were only so many people who could get into this safe house. When he burst through her door, he froze at the unexpected sight of Hermione thrashing on top on the bed, screaming her voice hoarse. She hadn't even bothered to get under the covers and must've only been asleep for less than half an hour.

In seconds, he was by her side, trying to still her writhing form.

"Hermione!"

"Hermione, wake up!"

"Hermione please," he pleaded with her as her screams turned into whimpering sobs.

Her eyes snapped open and she jackknifed up in bed, uncontrollable sobs spilling from her lips. She stared blindly ahead of her, the panic clear in her eyes.

"Hermione, you're safe, I promise," Sirius assured, drawing her face to his with two gentle hands at her jaw. She flinched away from his touch, shuffling back up the bed in fear, scrambling away from Sirius. He felt like someone punched him when he realized Hermione was scared of him.

Thinking instinctively, he immediately transformed into Padfoot, jumping on to the bed before carefully walking to her side. She seemed unaware of his presence until he decided to gently nudge her trembling hand with his muzzle. Her eyes focused on him, rouge tears still making their way down her cheeks. She raised her shaking hand to run her fingers through his fur as she let out a shaky breath. She began absentmindedly rubbing her scarring arm, feeling the painful burn return from her memories. Padfoot saw her reddened skin, wincing at the slur. Much like a dog would do for its companion, he began licking her wound over thoroughly, resting his head over the injury once he was done, looking up at her with concerned eyes.

She smiled sadly at him before the tears began falling faster and faster. Bowing her head over her lap she took in strained breaths.

"I just- I can't close my eyes without going straight back to that night. It's h-haunting m-me."

Padfoot rose from his perch, and nosed the side of her face, making her look up from behind her curtain of hair. He nuzzled his head into her neck, offering comfort. She hesitated for a split second before wrapping her arm around his fluffy neck and hugging him close. Hermione took long shuddering breaths while Padfoot patiently sat with her.

"Thank you, Sirius," she finally said contritely, withdrawing her arms from him.

He studied her, almost disappointed at the loss of her touch, but didn't leave or transform as she'd expected. He looked back at the pillows, as if asking whether she wanted to go back to sleep.

"I really should get some more rest," she thought aloud, wanting to do anything but.

Sirius easily settled on the bed, lying flush against her side, sharing his radiating warmth. If she was afraid to sleep again, he'd simply stay and make sure to keep an eye on her. She seemed to understand, but hesitated. Eventually, she laid down, resting her arm over Padfoot's shoulders.

"Thank you, Sirius," she whispered before letting sleep claim her once again.

Little did she know, Sirius was perfectly content lying next to her, simply taking in her sweet scent and listening to her steadying heartbeat.