Golden Era 05 | New Years Party

»»———— ☽ ༓ ☾ ———-««

-- BLACK FAMILY CELESTIAL HALL 

When little Hermione finally finished her conversation with the Black matriarch, her mind was reeling from the overload of information. In the span of an hour, she was shown what her life might have been, only to have that snatched away from her. And now she just felt lost. 

Finally emerging from the grand foyer, she was surprised to see Nova outside the doors waiting for her. 

"I'm meant to show you to your room," Nova said in explanation. 

"Right..." 

They walked in awkward silence as Nova led Hermione through the maze that was her house. The first-year was fidgeting nervously. 

"Listen, Hermione... I'm really sorry about today. I guess I didn't think things through enough. Obviously, I didn't expect this." 

"I don't think any of us could have," Hermione said wryly. 

"I'm really, really  sorry." 

"It's alright," Hermione said softly. "I'd much rather know than not know, no matter how complicated it may be." 

"Can I make it up to you somehow?" 

Hermione smiled. "Show me to your library?" 

»»———— ☽ ༓ ☾ ———-««

The next few days passed surprisingly quickly. As anxious as Hermione had been to stay with a wizarding family, she fit in very well with this one. Nova wasn't allowed to leave the house, but they all had a grand time at the family home. 

The twins were particularly intrigued by mini-Mione. Leo, who was the more boisterous of the two and took entirely after his father, barraged Hermione with question after question, each one getting more outlandish than the last. 

What's your favorite color? 
Periwinkle. 

Do you also like those muggle movies? 
Obviously.

Do you have the same scars mum does on her arm and chest? 
No...

Caelum was the more steady of the two. And instead of questions, he would make occasional odd observations about Hermione during their time together. He preferred to watch and asses rather than jump headfirst into the situation like his twin. 

You know you're right-handed like our mum. 

You like sugar quills too! Just like mum. 

You both look away when you're embarrassed. 

With each question and each observation, the Black kids began to realize that despite the seemingly obvious differences in appearance between the two Hermiones, they were very alike. 

Regulus was the quietest of all the kids, but he was also the most studious. Hermione was jealous of all the magical books he buried his head in. If only she'd had such access to knowledge at such a young age. 

Soon enough, it was New Year's Eve. The entire family was abuzz in preparation for the annual party at the Burrow. Apparently, their congregation of families split up the Holidays. According to Caelum, the Weasleys always hosted the New Year's party. The Malfoys host a Christmas Eve ball. The Potters hosted a picnic during the summer solstice. The Prewetts always held Samhain celebrations. And the Black family held the annual Bealtaine celebration right after the kids finished their term at Hogwarts.