35 | Phoenix Burns

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ・☽ ༓ ☾・  ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶  ̶̶̶̶

-- HEADQUARTERS OF THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX

It was seemingly another ordinary night when they all received patronuses from either Dumbledore or Moody. Hermione and Sirius were sitting for another dinner with the Potters when the patronus came. Lily paled, and James and Sirius froze. They were told the siege on Malfoy Manor would likely happen sooner rather than later. But that didn't change the jarring kick to reality when the time finally came. For a blissful but fleeting moment in time, they could almost pretend everything was okay- as normal as they could ever remember life being.

The Order gathered with a swiftness and unity that Hermione had never seen in her time. Perhaps it was because everyone was always so concerned with the semantics of 'trying to protect the children.' Hermione knew in retrospect that she had very little understanding of the second Order. Yet this final meeting not only summoned their core leaders and skilled professionals, but also any and all allies they'd ever had.

Hermione looked around the headquarters in awe.

Andromeda was gathered with her entire family. Ted Tonks stood proudly at her side, their daughter Nymphadora in his arms. Narcissa stood on her sister's other side with Draco holding onto her hand. Sirius wandered over to greet them all with a somber tone. When Snape finally arrived, he caught Narcissa's eyes and made his way over to the familiar face.

Marlene was waiting with her parents, and Mary McDonald and Hestia Bones kept them company. Hestia even brought her younger sister from the Auror department- Amelia Bones.

The Prewetts stood proudly beside Moody as they discussed matters in hushed tones. McGonagall stood not far off from Dumbledore, speaking assertively to a group of her fellow professors from Hogwarts.

Remus found them quickly enough, assured by Lily that the kids were hidden away in the Potter residence with Polly, who had strict instructions on contingencies. 

Kingsley stood with a large group of witches and wizards, all dressed in similar uniforms. Hermione could only assume they were all part of the Auror department- perhaps the most loyal and trusted, she suspected. Molly and Arthur stood alone, all of their kids absent from their sides as they held on to each other with tense anticipation.

Dumbledore cleared his throat loudly, the rest of the room falling silent as they turned to their leader.

"First of all, I'd like to thank you all for coming. I wish it were under better circumstances, but I can only hope that after the fight ahead of us, we'll be leading this country into a better future." Dumbledore told them all earnestly. "Auror Moody, if you'd like to brief everyone?"

Moody nodded assertively, stepping up beside Dumbledore.

"Just today we received intelligence from one of our best-placed informants," Moody tipped his head towards Hestia Bones. "There are whispers of a revel happening at Malfoy Manor tonight. We believe it'll likely be a victory celebration for their attack on Auror Black's home."

Sirius stiffened beside Hermione, and a flood of whispers filled the room like fiendfyre.

"As such-" Moody boomed over them. "Tonight is the night we strike. We know where all or most of them will be. And, more importantly, we know where the Dark Lord will be."

"Voldemort," Dumbledore corrected softly. "We intend to fight him- now is not the moment to fear his name."

"Are we prepared to do this now?" Molly asked in concern.