32 | Viper Strikes

~ Potter Manor

"For the hundredth time, James Potter," Lily yelled. "I don't care if it was just another basic drill! You could've been ambushed like the Prewetts for all we know!" 

"Lily, I was fine!" The wizard rolled his eyes in exasperation. 

They'd all come back to Potter Manor after their respective duties. Lily seemed so excited about all the work she, Mary, and Severus had accomplished until she realized her husband had yet to come home. Hermione did her best to keep Harry and Neville entertained, but even the kids seemed to sense the anxious air surrounding Lily. 

James apparated back into the main sitting room only to have his arms immediately filled with his concerned wife. Remus and Sirius watched the scene with amusement. 

"Prongs, do us all a favor and turn in your badge after the war," Sirius grinned. "I don't think Lily's heart could take anymore." 

His eyes met Hermione, and they both shared a moment of amusement at the lovestruck pair. The calmness in her gaze reassured him. While he'd absolutely be willing to give up his career for a safer life if Hermione wanted so, Sirius really liked his job. James never really intended to become an Auror, but that was Sirius's goal from the beginning. The second he got into Gryffindor, he took it as a sign that he could undo the centuries of toxic patterns his ancestors had set. He would not be manipulative or bigoted. He would not stick to traditional pureblood ways. He would not laze about and rely on his wealth. He would make his mark on the world and change the view of the House of Black. And Hermione had the strength to stand by him as he did. She was no stranger to devoting her life to greater cause- it was something in which they'd both found a commonality. 

"Oh!" Polly squeaked as she apparated into the room. "Guests! Dinner is ready and in the kitchen, as you asked, Miss Hermione!" 

"Thank you, Polly," Hermione grinned. 

As they walked down the halls together, Harry ran up to Hermione, jumping in front of her until she picked him up with a laugh. Neville was strolling contently while holding on to Remus's hand. Sirius waited for Hermione, watching his witch and godson with deep affection in his gaze. 

"Look at him," Sirius pouted as Harry laid his head contently on Hermione's shoulder, watching his godfather with a mischievous grin. "You've only been here for a few months and you're already the favorite godparent." 

Hermione laughed. Those words meant more to her than he would ever know. "Just wait until he gets older, he won't be able to get enough of you. I was rather a precocious friend. Or as my Harry would say, I had the tendency to nag."  

Sirius slipped his hand around hers, entangling their fingers. "He loved you anyway, didn't he?" 

Hermione looked down at their hands, eyeing their other friends purposefully. 

"What?" Sirius asked. 

"They'll see!" 

An amused snort escaped Sirius. "Is that a problem? I was under the impression you agreed to be my girlfriend." 

"I did." Hermione fumbled with her words. "I just didn't know you were ready to announce it to the world." 

Sirius raised an eyebrow, bemused. Normally girls would be pestering him for a public display of his affections- some sort of confirmation of his commitment. Yet Hermione, being the paradox she was, was surprised he was finally ready to offer that. He had no way of knowing Hermione wasn't accustomed to people who were frank and up-front about their emotions. Victor Krum may have been, but Hermione was never too invested in him. The one she'd pined over for years had an unfortunate habit of offering her backhanded compliments as an afterthought. Ron was a brilliant friend, but he really did have the emotional range of a teaspoon. Hermione didn't expect compliments or public declarations. She never had.