03 | Where Loyalties Lie

-- POTTER COTTAGE 1981

Hermione's eyes fluttered awake to the flickers of the fireplace. The warmth of the cottage was a comfort to her even if she felt like the walking dead. She struggled to sit up, and belatedly realized that James and Lily Potter were sitting across from her, watching her closely. Her heart clenched painfully as she remembered how easily Ron and Harry came to her aid when she struggled before, but now she was alone in a time where no one knew or trusted her. 

"Miss Granger," a familiar voice drew her attention. 

"Professor Dumbledore!" 

"When I was told that the Potters were visited by a Hermione Granger, I could hardly believe it." His eyes twinkled knowingly. "Perhaps you should tell the others who you are." 

Hermione inhaled deeply, wincing as she sat up fully. "My name is Hermione Granger, and I was born on September 19, 1979." 

There was a pregnant pause as Lily and James watched her blankly, probably debating whether she needed to be sent to St. Mungos. She could see Remus and Sirius slip into the room quietly, both equally caught off guard by her confession. 

"The reason I knew all those things about you," she said, looking meaningfully at everyone, "is because my best friend is Harry Potter."   

"I have to ask," Dumbledore said, leaning forward. "Was it a time turner?" 

"No. We were in battle, and- and I don't know, really. Harry's magic collided with mine, and before I knew it, it felt like I was being swept away by a portkey." 

"Are we actually supposed to believe this?" Sirius asked warily. 

"She called me Harry right after she saw me," James observed, intrigued. 

Hermione nodded. "Everyone in my time said he looked exactly like you. Except for his eyes, he had-" 

"Lily's eyes," James finished, looking at her with a small grin. 

"Well, I assume now we just need to find a way to send you back, Miss Granger,"  Dumbledore said. 

"No." Hermione said too quickly, before realizing what she accidentally gave away. Everyone looked at her in apprehension as she fumbled to fix her mistake. "I mean, It's just-" 

"What is the state of the Wizarding world in your time, Miss Granger?" 

Hermione met his eyes, her own reflecting the pain and loss she'd suffered. 

"Miss Granger, you know how dangerous it is to mess with time." 

In that moment, Hermione knew she had a choice. She could somehow try to send herself back to before her, Harry, Ron got caught and finish the war in their favor. But as she looked at the curious eyes of Harry's parents, and the Godfather he'd lost too early, she knew she had a chance to change everything, to save everyone. 

"Professor, I really don't think the current timeline is one you want to preserve." 

"How do you mean?" 

"There's just so much death, so much unnecessary loss." 

"Every war comes with its sacrifices, Miss Granger." 

"Yes, but what if I can change that? What if I could save a lot of people? And give you a definite way to defeat Voldemort?" Everyone in the room tensed. Hermione took a deep breath before continuing, deciding to put all her cards on the table. "I have all the information you could ever need to finish this once and for all, and prevent countless unnecessary deaths. I can already tell you the future I just came from is bleak, and if you try to send me back to the moment I came from, Voldemort will win."