Chapter 35 - Eleanor

This house was for us?

I was able to talk to Jackson for a few moments before making my way to this house. Our house. I couldn't believe it.

"You built this?" I ask, turning away from him to spin around and take a look at my surroundings. He simply gave me a nod, his eyes watching me carefully as my one roamed all over the walls, the ceiling... I wasn't ashamed to admit I really wanted to see the rest of the house.

"It's beautiful," I whispered as I carefully ventured through a doorway to my right. "Is it okay if I go look at the rest of it?" Again, I was answered with a quiet nod, so I turned and walked into the room.

"Wow," I breathed, my eyes flitting over the kitchen. It was almost all black, but I didn't mind the color. I could just picture placing so many decorations around the counters and on the walls. I gulped.

Decorating was something I had come to love with the Council. Though I didn't realize until just before I'd left, I think I found my passion. And apparently, according to Emma and Ashlynne, I was good at it too!

"What do you think?" I jumped, holding my hand to my heart as I turned around. Leo was standing in the doorway I had just walked through. As I searched for an answer I let my eyes drift down his body, frowning at his hands twitching at his sides.

"Are you alright?" I asked. He gave me a small smile, and I tried not to let the surprise show on my face.

"Fine. Just a little nervous."

"Why? If it's me, I can go."

"No, no," he insisted, "don't leave. I just haven't shown this house to anyone, and I wanted it to be better when I showed it to you."

"What do you mean better? Leonidas, this is insanely beautiful!" I shouted, my voice slightly echoing. He sighed, then took a step towards me and began to let his eyes scour the kitchen.

"I wanted to have it furnished and decorated for you," he began to scratch the back of his neck, "but I didn't know you were coming until two days ago."

"If it makes you feel better, neither did I," I said, looking down so he couldn't see my blush.

"Why did you decide to come back, if I may ask?" He was so much more polite now... I began to wonder what caused him to change so much in such a short amount of time.

"I missed you." My hand flew to my mouth to stop the words from coming out, but it was far too late. The words were out before I could even think about saying them.

I looked anywhere but my mate, trying to avoid the conversation I knew was coming. I didn't want to face it.

Was he going to reject me? Is that why he looks like he's changed so much?

"I'm sorry, Eleanor. For what I've done," he said quietly. My head snapped up. I began to shake my head quickly. He stepped forward again.

"I truly am, for how I treated you before you left. As much as I dislike admitting this, I need you. I miss you."

This was it.

I was officially imaging things.

Leonidas? Apologizing? Missing me?

"You don't accept it. You don't accept me," Leonidas was muttering to himself, walking backwards towards the entrance of the house. Where was he going? Was he leaving?

"What?" I whispered, but he definitely heard it. His feet stopped moving and his head snapped to mine. He shook his head, as if not understanding?

"What made you apologize?" I clarified. There was no way the man in front of me had changed that much.