Chapter 12 - Leonidas

The food was exceptional, and exactly what I'd wanted, but it seemed to have more salt on it than it usually did. I unconsciously reached for my drink and felt like an imbecile, waving my hand around until my fingers wrapped around the glass.

I began to relieve the dryness of my throat when the taste of the liquid registered in my brain. A combination of saliva and whiskey left my mouth, most if fortunately returning to the cup and not on the document I had been signing.

A knock on the door reached my ears, and I quickly growled out a response. The door creaked open to reveal Megan, the woman who had made my meal to perfection, holding a glass of water.

I scowled at her as I looked at my glass that had clear liquid dripping down the sides.

"I-I'm so sorry, Alpha. It completely slipped my mind today, I've just been so busy, especially with training the new pack member – it's just been a long day." She let a small breath escape her, as well as a shy smile take over her face.

"So the new member has caused this–this forgetfulness?" I asked, a scowl still on my face, as I gulped down some water. Her eyes widened in realization that she had just thrown the girl under the bus.

"It really isn't that bad, Alpha, I was just a little distracted, that's all." Megan seemed pleased with her response, but I wasn't.

"Send her up here."

She winced but tilted her head, showing her submission. Her head lifted a little.

"May I request something, Alpha?" She looked tentative and slightly regretful, so I granted it.

"Could I send her up after dinner? She's overseeing the pack today, but I could tell her to com here while we clean?" Because it was best for the pack, I gave her a small nod and watched as she bowed then rushed out of the room.

After finishing my meal and moving the clutter to the side, I continued my work. Ten minutes later another knock sounded throughout my office, and I gave permission for the girl to enter.

She stepped in the room and closed the door behind her, moving to stand in front of my desk with her head bowed down.

"I was told you were distracting the cooks from their jobs, so I have moved you to the garden. Nathan will be expecting you." With a quick nod I dismissed her, pleasantly surprised at her acceptance. Maybe she would do well in this pack after all.

I was almost finished with the work for the day when yet another person knocked on the door. I sucked in a small breath to reveal that my brother was on the other side, and linked him to come in.

He sat in a chair across from my desk and stared, watching me do my work I silence.

"I don't understand it, Leo." His voice was soft and genuinely concerned when he spoke. I let out a long growl at the nickname, causing him to sigh and shake his head a little. My wolf bristled at the disrespect.

"We were raised the same way, I don't understand how we treat our mates so differently." I was standing by the end of his little speech, my chair crashing against the wall behind me.

"We were not raised the same way," I said in a deep growl, "and you know it. Don't shove that into my face."

He stayed in his seat, not threatened whatsoever by my anger. I gave him a few seconds to speak, to defend himself and his words, but he never did.

"You were given away after mother died – to some posh little family that couldn't care for anything else but you." I snarled. I was yelling now, aggravated at him thinking we were raised in similar ways.