Chapter 22 - Leonidas

Though her name rolled off of my tongue smoothly, and my wolf pranced with joy in my head, I disliked the way it made her feel. I could tell she liked it by the way her posture and scent changed.

As an Alpha, it was required that I know what to do in every situation; one of the many ways I was able to protect my pack. Growing up, I saw how my father treated his mate, and for some reason, my wolf was no happy with treating our mate the same way.

What Ana told me had been no joke. Before her rant, I assumed the things Ana had gone through had been similar to what my mother had gone through. The whipping, the beatings, the punishments; those were forms of torture used on enemies of the pack, not the women.

These thoughts left me confused and disoriented, and I didn't like it.

"It's not necessary to take that tone with me, Alpha," Eleanor said, snapping me out of my thoughts. Her hand flew over her mouth, and I could tell that she was feeling regret. That wasn't enough.

"You may be my mate, but that tone will never be tolerated. Is that understood?" My wolf howled because I'd admitted she was my mate once again, but cooled down by the time I'd finished the sentence.

"From what I understand, Alpha, in this pack males treat women with respect. Clearly that isn't true." Goddess, where was she getting this attitude from? She must have been spending too much time around Ana. Jackson needs to keep his mate in check.

"Reject me, Alpha. I no longer wish to be a part of this pack." I clenched then unclenched my hand, then stood so quickly that my chair slammed into the wall behind me. My shaking hands slammed onto my desk, and I leaned over in anger.

"You will never be leaving this pack. Ever!" My voice was mixed between my own and my wolf's as I yelled in her face. She took a few steps back.

"You don't even want me here, as a mate or as a person in general!" I sat down, and fought the urge to throw my desk into the wall. This was exhausting, she was only digging herself a deeper hole.

"Go," I commanded. If she kept this up, I would be throwing myself through the wall.

"No. I'll only leave if you reject me first." My wolf made a noise that resembled a mixture of a growl and a howl, seeming angry at me and sorrowful at the thought of losing his mate. I rolled my eyes, then smirked.

"That's a shame. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do." I wasn't wrong, the amount of paperwork piling up was making my fingers twitch. I hated being distracted.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed her wrap her arms around herself, and I frowned when she didn't move.

"I said get out!" She flinched, but ignored the Alpha command. I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Actually, it will be you who is leaving, Alpha Leonidas." I stood as someone entered my office, and let out a threatening growl.

A member of the council, Harry Jastin, walked up to my desk. Following him were a man and a woman, both my size and a little bulkier than me.

"You'd better have a good reason for bursting into my office, Councilman Harry, because I'm in the middle of a dispute." The man's face tightened.

"We wouldn't have come if it wasn't a serious matter, Alpha. It has come to our attention that you've been misusing your power, we've come to get testimonies and come to a decision on what needs to happen next." For the first time in a while, my wolf was on my side. We released a low growl; our power was being challenged.

"Search all you want, councilman. You will find no trouble here," I said with a smirk. Harry smiled a wide smile, as if he knew something I didn't.

"Thank you for your cooperation, Alpha. As of right now, you will temporarily step down as Alpha so we may cut out any Alpha command."

This time, my wolf and I did not hold back when letting out a loud growl. The picture frames hanging on the wall began to rattle, but when Harry held his hand up to silence me, I had no control over it.

"I herby temporarily strip you of your power for the next ten days. You shall remain a normal pack member for that time. Is that clear?" I could feel my wolf becoming weaker, but not as weak as I had thought. Harry's eyes glared at me, daring me to disagree with him, but I knew I couldn't. The council was something every Alpha had to answer to, whether they liked it or not.

"Crystal clear, councilman."

Harry smiled, looking slightly relieved.

A whimper caught my attention, and my eyes immediately zeroed in on my mate. The man that had come in after Harry quickly turned to face us, eyes wide and cheeks turning red. I clenched my fist.

Harry turned as well, looking over at the noise that had disturbed the conversation.

"Who is this?" The man that had come in with him stepped away slightly, and I turned back to Eleanor. She made eye contact with me for a moment, then glanced down at her shoes. Her hands were clenched into fists.

Harry turned to me, his eyebrows raised in question.

"Well? Is this your dispute I was interrupting, Leonidas?" The older man looked considerably confused, and as he raised his hand to smooth his greying hair back, I debated if I should tell him or not.

When he whipped his hand out for her to shake, Eleanor flinched back. The councilman's growl reverberated throughout the room, and he whirled to face me.

"If you've been striking women, Leonidas, you should start praying to the Goddess that I let you live," he said, a menacing tone that made Eleanor begin to shake.

I growled.

"No, councilmen, I would never strike a women." Behind Harry's back, Eleanor raised her eyes to look at me, then back down at the ground.

"She's from the Dark Wolves pack, and has yet to become a normal human." Harry's eyes flashed between his and his wolf's, and I knew I was getting under his skin. My wolf snarled at my own words, but I pushed him down as best as I could. The worst thing for him to do in this situation would be to take control.

"If I hear you speak like that again to anyone, you will immediately lose your title permanently. Is that understood?" I held back growl and nodded.

These next few days were going to be hell.

Harry turned back to Eleanor, and turned to the man he'd brought with him.

"Alex, what is going on here?" The guard looked embarrassed, and tilted his head down in submission; similar to the way Eleanor had done so.

"I was simply looking at her, Alpha, and she whimpered." If at all possible, Eleanor's head hung lower than it already had been, and I knew something was amiss.

"He is incorrect, councilman. He is lying to you." The words came out of my mouth faster than I could stop them, and I winced slightly afterwards. Now he would start asking questions.

"Really? Is that so, Leonidas?" I sighed but nodded; I couldn't go back on something I'd said only seconds prior.

"How can you tell?" Harry's question seemed genuine, but also like he was taunting me.

"I'm her mate, councilman." Eleanor's head flew up at my words, and my eyes made contact with hers. Harry smiled a genuine smile.

"Well, that's just excellent. Let's start with you, shall we?"