Introduction

This story is written for Open Novella 2019.

The prompt which inspired me was the fifth prompt for General called Missing Beauty. The prompt is, "When a teenage beauty queen goes missing, a small town is torn apart with worry and grief. But as time and the investigation progresses, several ugly truth are revealed..."

The story is also fanfic for Free!. For those who don't know the fandom the series is a sports Anime about swimming. I'm working in part with the fact Haru shows autistic traits through out the series, but a bit with the name play. Haru is short for Haruka and he specializes in the crawl stroke. His childhood friends are Haru, Makoto, Rin and Nagisa. He also dislikes his name because it is "feminine" while Gou hates her name because it is "masculine" which is why she prefers "Kou" over "Gou".

Nagisa is younger than the other three, but his older sisters picked on him by dressing him in girls clothing. Haru let him borrow his swim trunks once during elementary school when Nagisa's sisters switched his for a girl's suit, but Haru wore the girl's uniform. For this he admires Haru greatly.

In Japan honorifics are attached at the end of a name, such as attaching chan to the end of Haru to make Haru-chan. Some attempt to translate Japanese honorifics into those used in English, yet many times the meaning gets lost in translation. -san is less informal than -kun and -chan, but -chan is used mostly by females with their female friends or with small children. Nagisa utilizes -chan with his friends names; he's also in most cases super cheerful and the use of -chan personifies this trait in his character. Senpai and kohai are words of respect used towards someone who is your senior or junior in anything. Sensei is a title used for doctors and teachers.

In Japan high school is typically three years. The students stay in one classroom and the teachers come to them, but the homeroom teacher is majorly involved in the lives and well beings with the student. They facilitate conversations regarding future career paths and parent teacher meetings.

.Other prompts which have ended up worked into the story in some variation or another
- Suspense 2 – At Gunpoint – While there are no guns in this there is someone who does have dreams which may or may not be predictive, or they may be psychosomatic.

Word Count

Chapter 1 – 1,534
Chapter 2 - 2,784
Chapter 3 - 4,227
Chapter 4 - 5,318
Chapter 5 - 6,504
Chapter 6 - 7,982
Chapter 7 - 9,225
Chapter 8 - 10,588
Chapter 9 - 11,804
Chapter 10 - 12,871
Chapter 11 - 14,027
Chapter 12 - 15,119
Chapter 13 - 16,644
Chapter 14 - 17,725
Chapter 15 - 18,764
Chapter 16 - 19.912
Chapter 17 - 20,983
Chapter 18 - 22,021
Chapter 19 - 22,974
Chapter 20 - 23,905

Image for Cover

https://www.pexels.com/photo/sea-water-blue-sun-62307/