Chapter Eleven

The rogue lair was a few miles north, a lot of trees for good cover. Dakota wasn't planning to have any big fight out in the open but it was good to have trees for cover in case.

   "Looks like their blessing us with their presence," Dakota heard Matthew say in a sarcastic tone.

   Dakota in her small pack of Weres leaped between the trees, standing a few feet from the vampires. Bryce watched her closely and she smirked. He gave a small nod to her and then turned to the rest of her pack acknowledging Shane, and Reese. His eyes glared over Daniel and Dakota watched as his face contorted. Yeah; no, she was not going to introduce Daniel as her mate. In her heart he was no longer anything to her but a an inconvenience.

   Bryce grinned staring down Daniel who looked to be in his own world. "Can't say we've met. This is Payden and Matthew. I'm-"

   "Is there a reason you need to make an introduction?" Daniel snapped, waving Bryce off.

   "He's in a snipping mood," Payden sneered.

   Arching a brow at Payden, Bryce silenced her, turning to Daniel and then Dakota. "I see manners truly are dead for Weres." Dakota ignored Bryce comment as Daniel grunted. "Ready to go hunting?"

   "That's what we're here for," Daniel retorted as if Bryce was talking to him. Bryce smiled thinly but not enough to hide his fangs.

   "Daniel. Tone it down," Dakota demanded in a cold voice. She was already exhausted with him being here.

   Dakota caught Bryce, like always, staring at her and Reese snarled snapping his eyes away from Dakota.

   Dakota could see Daniel about to speak toward Reese and she snarled lowly. "We don't have time for this. We're here to alliance with them," Dakota pointed in Bryce's direction, continuing. "Don't be a problem."

   Daniel reluctantly nodded at her. Reese rolled her eyes, watching Daniel as if annoyed with his presence.

   Anyone could see the obvious hatred between Reese and Daniel.

   "Show us the way," Dakota said, directing her attention to Bryce.

   Running through the woods, they all stopped short of clear land suffused with thin layers of grass and weeds that needed serious hacking. Bryce raised his fist high, in military gesture and they all stopped.

   Dakota moved close to him. "What are you looking for?"

   "A cellar," Bryce answered, scrutinizing the area. "There should be a trapped door amid the ground. Probably covered with leaves and branches."

   Dakota's eyes linked to an unusual sight of smooth dirt, far horizontal to where they were standing and she pointed catching everyone's attention.

   Bryce nodded.

   "We won't shift until we're inside."

   Turning to the three Weres under her command, Dakota didn't blink once. Her mind was ready for whatever battle that would occur.

   Glancing a quick innocent look at Reese, their eyes locked, bringing an comfortable silence and she turned away. She cleared her throat turning to Daniel, who was watching her already. "You will be our backbone, taking out any rogues we miss." She didn't want him trying to act superior when he had no true skills at leading someone. "We all stay in eyesight of one another. Keep yourself focus and your wolf in control."

   "Yes second," Reese said proudly, followed by Shane.

   Dakota twisted back to Bryce as he finished his own pep talk. Dakota was getting ready to speak when she was stopped by a complaining tone; no other than Daniel.