Chapter Three

Leaping onto the porch, Dakota found the door wide open, with half of the pack crowding tight inside the dining room and along the stairs. Some curled against another, as others let the need to shift take over.

She followed toward the loudest waves of cries. The scent of blood guided her further into the den. Dakota grimaced knowing this death would bring the pack into an outcry.

She found her father among a few others inside.

Who had died? She thought of her brother, or Reese. 'No.' It wasn't them. Dakota would know. They were much closer to her than anyone else and she would painfully feel their deaths.

Dakota caught a glance at Shane. He was one of her closest friends.

Shane Wilson had been turned Were only ten years now. Because he was bitten he had to work twice as hard to earn respect and a real place in the pack. Shane earned both in a matter of a few years, moving up in the ranks.

Dakota loved him from the start. Shane brought in a warm spirit to the pack.

Shane noticed the wry look in Dakota's eyes and walked over. He skirted pass a few Weres who were finally heading out. Shane approached her, immediately drawing her into a hug. He didn't stare into her eyes, keeping them low. "It was ... Simon." Shane's voice sounded ragged and broken.

"He was only a pup. No older than Brandon." Dakota clenched onto his arm and then withdraw with a long sigh. As Weres, they craved touch; affection from each other. She needed that now. Her entire pack did. "Do you know who did this?"

Shane stood quiet, as if deciding if he should answer.

"Shane. I won't do anything reckless. Tell me." As she said those words, Dakota could feel her canines tearing apart whoever killed one of her own. She wasn't Alpha yet, but they were her wolves.

"It was a vampire," Reese said cutting into the conversation.

Dakota noticed the grief in Reese's eyes and absently embraced her intimately. Reese resisted for a moment, finally caving into Dakota's hold. Reese had lost her parents last year to a group of rogue vampires.

Reese wiped her tears onto Dakota's shoulders, leaving no trace for anyone else to see. Always so strong. A true second to Dakota. A soldier for the pack. She was only ever submissive to Dakota. Looking eye level at each other, Dakota could see Reese's wolf through her eyes. Dakota smiled warmly at Reese staring into her eyes longer than she expected.

Absently, Dakota grazed Reese's cheek with her knuckles and kissed her forehead.

She thought she felt Reese shudder but dismissed it. Reese's skin felt warm against her lips.

Reese stared into Dakota's eyes, smiling softly. Reese thanked her for the comfort and unexpectedly leaned in, nuzzling Dakota's neck. She felt too good with Reese close like this. At peace, she sighed absently breathing in Reese's scent.

Dakota froze trying to shake away the thoughts and trying to keep them at bay for Reese not to notice. Reese knew she surprised Dakota with her gesture.

It wasn't something uncommon among Weres. When Reese and Dakota were younger, they did things like cuddle, sleep together a lot. The whole pack did. Since Dakota been mated, it gradually stopped, disappearing all together.

Instead of speaking, Dakota smiled back at her, curving the palm of her hand down Reese's jaw line, and then walked toward her father.

Dakota's father had his back turned to her, Dakota approached quietly. "My wolf is dead. I have let those vampires handle their own, but now ... now, I see ... we have to stop them ourselves." His voice never raised but Dakota could hear his deadly tone. His wolf was so close to taking over.