Chapter 24

The days passed, Percy of course trying to figure out what Annabeth had told me. After a while he gave up.

"Evelyn," I heard Sammy say. He had just finished his lesson and me and Hannah were walking out to our next class.

"Sam." I said.

"Evelyn can I talk to you for a second?" He asked, searching my face for a hint of emotion, of confirmation.

"I have class now Sammy," I said, keeping my face steady, unaltered.

"Please?" He whispered. I looked at Hannah for reassurance and she nodded for me to go with Sam.

"Okay, but I'm going to be late." I remarked.

"I think you'll be okay, your instructor happens to be your brother." He smiled.

"I thought you were my brother too but I guess I was wrong." I snapped.

"Evelyn can we please talk about that. I can explain." He begged. We walked and sat on a nearby bench.

"Explain, why did you hide all those messages from me. How could you betray me like that? I trusted you, I never thought you would go through my personal belongings and just keep them from me!" I shouted.

"Listen Evelyn, I am your protector, I have always been your protector. Your dad pulled me out of exile and assigned me to you. That's not a job I'm going to ignore. I see Adam as a threat to your well being. That's how it's always been. If your brother was a threat to your wellbeing I would take him out too. That's my job." He explained.

"How is Adam a threat to me?" I asked.

"Evelyn I don't even have to answer that question. I know you don't understand but I am literally your personal body gaurd, it's built into me to protect you from harm. That necklace is more for my benefit than yours honestly." He laughed.

"It's not funny!" I said, "You're forced to protect me from imaginary boy threats."

"It's not imaginary, and yeah I'm forced but along the way I got attached to you. You're my family Evelyn. Don't forget that." He said. Annabeth's words rung in my ears and I realized Sammy was my family.

"You're right. I'm sorry." I sighed. I gave up because I realized when it comes to family I can't just push them away. They stay by my side no matter what. Percy hadn't always been in my life but Sammy was. I couldn't be mad at family all the time.

"I'm sorry too," He sighed,"So we're good now?"

"Yeah we're good." I said. We got up and he hugged me, he kissed the top of my head and let go. I took the necklace from around my neck and I gave it to Sammy.

"What? No this is for you," Sammy argued.

"Sam I don't want to be an obligation. This makes me feel like an object to be protected. I need to find my own weapon. I can't always rely on you." I said and he painstakingly nodded.

"I understand," He said and put it around his neck, it turned into a leather chain with a shark tooth at the bottom,"But just know it's always here for you." I smiled and nodded.

"I"m late, Percy is gonna kill me." I groaned.

"It's okay, I'll talk to him." Sammy laughed. We walked to the arena and I saw Percy standing there teaching a lesson.

"Oh, look who decided to join us," Percy mused.

"It was my fault Percy, I pulled her aside after class." Sammy said.

"Okay, Evelyn you can join the rest of class, they learning how to deflect a strike, we all know you need help with that." He chucked.

"Oh shutup Percy, don't be mad I kicked your ass." I remarked.