Chapter 3

We sat down at the McDonald's, eating peacefully. This is how it usually was with me and Marcy. I had begun to grow fond of the 13 year old but I refused to let myself feel that way. Each time I let someone in my emotional blockade they Ended up hurting me somehow. I vowed that Sam was going to be the last person to ever have that affect on me.

"Why do u do that?" Marcy asked.

"Do what?" I replied to her.

"You press down on your ears really hard and close your eyes."

"Oh that." I said plainly. "It's just a habit when I'm thinking." 'Not true' said a little voice inside me. Well it was part of the truth. Whenever I remembered or thought of something sad I would press my ears down because it kind of sounded like the ocean.

I know it's weird, but ever since I was little the sound of the ocean would calm me down. Even though I had never been to the beach, I knew what it sounded like. I always felt a longing to go there. As if something inside of me was missing. But that feeling blended I with he feeling of loneliness, bitterness, and at one point the depression that came with being Evelyn.

"Oh" was all she said. Stupid kid, I thought. This was the longest I ever been with a partner and I felt I was getting too emotionally attached to this kid.

"So I'm thinking that you should go back to the shelter." I said to her as I sipped my coke. "I'm probably going to be leaving soon, so you shouldn't be alone."

"Evelyn I was alone before we met, and I was fine." She said stubbornly. She may have been thirteen, but she had the brains and attitude of a twenty year old. She was capable of taking care of herself, but in just didn't feel comfortable leaving a kid to defend herself out here I the streets of New York. 'Ugh listen to yourself Evelyn, she's just stupid kid! You didn't have anyone to look after you so why should you give a crap about anyone else?' I was right, I should listen to myself more.

"Whatever Marcy, suit yourself." I said to her boredely. "I'll leave first thing tomorrow Morning"

I would have to wake up early to avoid social services that always made rounds in out runaway neighborhood every Tuesday. They believed sending back kids to foster care was so much better than living on the streets. For me it was hell. Living on the streets toughened me up and now I learned not to expect anything from people.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys thanks for reading sorry it's short, and unedited, just wanted to update. The really good parts are coming up, these are just chapters so u get to know Evelyn. The whole half blood shabang will come soon I promise!

Ok so please add, follow, vote, comment message, whatever y'all feel like doing