You're Going Through a Rough Time

Hiding things from Harry would be nigh impossible— he’d have this way of just seeing right through you, through your voice, through your short texts back. And as such, he’d know without you even really having to tell him: things were rough and you were hurting. He wouldn’t know quite what to do or say or suggest, but he would know he had to do something

And that’s why he’d appear on your doorstep, grocery sacks of your favorite gluten free cookies and chips&salsa and everything else in between, a concerned look in his eye when you’d crack the door open. "Libs… please let me in." And somehow those words would mean so much more than a request of entry to your apartment. Somehow they’d also mean a request of entry into your heart, into your life, into your hurt. There’d be no stopping him. Maybe he couldn’t fix it, but he sure could help carry the burden.

As soon as he’d tromp in, he’d set the bags down and smother you in the biggest, warmest, most concerned hug. He wouldn’t even speak at first, he’d just hold you for as long as it took to feel your body relax against his. “I love you. No matter what, I love you.” he’d mumble, knowing that it wasn’t nearly enough, but the only thing he’d have to offer. And maybe it wouldn’t fix all the hurt in your life, but in that moment it’d at least dull the pain and help you remember that no matter what, there’s always hope. 

Which is exactly what he’d say after pulling away and holding you at arms length, forcing you to look in to his eyes though. “Don’t give up on life, don’t give up on their being good in the world. Don’t give up on yourself, love, don’t do it.” he’d shake his head, the seriousness of his voice making you want to cry. You’d never quite figure out how it was he was so good at pep talks— how every single one seemed genuine and real and true. Because, well, they really were. He was right— there’s always hope, always good, always a reason to go on. No matter the pain or the hurt or the trials, there’s never anything quite so bad that rules out all the things worth going on for. He’d remind you that, yeah, life really sucks sometimes. It has a way of twisting and turning and tossing you in all sorts of directions, but he’d also remind you to never forget that another twist or turn— a good twist or turn— could be just around the bend. And he’d tell you over and over again, "Give it time, love. Time’s really scary, but it’s really cool too. Like, that’s the thing about life. No matter how bad it gets, time will help you forget the bad, and it’ll help you hold on so much tighter to the good. Somebody once told me that and I think it’s really true." And then he’d crack that giggling smile of his, all wide and dimply as it is, and shrug a shoulder. "Besides, I’ve brought all this food and do you know what the best way to spend your time is? Eating." You wouldn’t be able to help but slip a small smile at his silly attempt at humor. And just like that he’d do that special thing he’d always do— mixing seriousness and laughter all up into one. It was just like him to have you stuffed up inside his arms one minute and giggling the next. And that’d be one of the things you love the most.