Chapter Fifty Nine

It was a few days later when the people of Eda got the news of the Eldian win. For the most part, everyone was relieved at the news. In fact, those that heard of it rejoiced in besting the Tokens. As far as details went, none had been released to their town, but news of the success was enough for now... at least for some...

Elliot and Renna sat quietly in their living room, with a broadsheet lying face up on the table. As for what to say, neither of them had a clue. It took a long time for either of them to say a word.

"The war was won, Elliot. It's over," she said, heaving a deep breath. Gods, she was getting older. This whole ordeal made her feel like she'd aged a decade... and lost a century's worth of sleep.

"It shouldn't be long now, sister," he whispered, "In a week... we will know. Gods, Renna, let's pray that my daughter comes home."

She hung her head, knowing that they'd most likely never see Iris again. In the air, both could feel a hopeless aura lingering. She was too kind -too fragile- to live through war. With another sigh, Renna looked up at her brother. He looked as frightened as she'd ever seen him. Even when the war was going on, he hadn't looked like this. She supposed it was because nothing was scarier than the truth.

After all they'd been through, they'd finally know. In a week's time, Iris would either return or she would not... and that would be the end of it. The chance of death was too astounding to even hope for the different outcome.

But gods, did she hope.

"You know," Renna spoke through a lump in her throat, "if she doesn't come back... she'll be with her mother. She'll be with..." Renna took a breath. "She'll be with... she'll be with you know who else. She'll finally be happy. She was always so worried... so sad. She won't be anymore."

"Shh, don't say if, please. Please," he instructed, holding on to a desperate thread, "She's going to come back. She has to."

And then, silence again. Neither of them noticed it, however. They'd spent the past few months sitting in the same eerie quiet. Candles flickered in the room, casting shadows all over the walls. Usually, Elliot would take a nap in such circumstances... but he couldn't sleep. He was too stressed.

They sat for the next hour... and then, there was a noise. A loud rap at the door. Both jumped, startled by the sound. And then, they were both filled with dread.

"It's far too soon for Iris to be home," she spoke quietly, assuming that she was about to receive the news she'd been fearing for far too long.

Slowly, she opened the door. Who she saw standing on the other side, however, was not who she expecting.

"Kayde?" she asked, staring at the man she'd sent to save her niece.

"Hello, Ms. Gwenneth," he greeted, ducking in a little bow, "are you busy or do you have time to speak? I'm afraid it's quite urgent."

She felt her heart drop in her stomach, and then start racing.

"Of course. Come in, come in... please," she said quickly, and ushered him as fast as possible to the room with Elliot. Kayde nodded his head at the man. Iris's father was surprised to see him so soon. He would have greeted the guardian more... but for now, he wanted to her what Kayde had to say.

"Hello, to the both of you," Kayde said after taking a seat, "I have some good news and some bad news for you both. I ask, which news do you wish to hear first?"