Chapter Five

A/N -- A note (and you may have noticed it with her father) to consider before reading on: calling someone 'girl' or 'my girl' in this book is not meant to be demeaning or offensive! It is simply warm-toned Eldian custom, unless specified otherwise. Almost having the same feel as calling someone 'kid' or 'father' or 'mother' or 'dear'. It's just a more personal term.

With the grace of a snake, Kayde edged a bit closer to Iris. She erected herself quickly, making herself look as tall and as intimidating as she possibly could -though she felt like one of those silly, small dogs that thought they were five times as big as they actually were. Kayde's inquisitive, green eyes followed her in calculation as he moved to stand two feet in front of her. She stepped back. Iris wanted to ask him just what he thought he was doing, but thought better of it when she realized that it sounded just like something Renna would say.

Instead, she pointed her sword up at his throat and grit her teeth together. My, did she feel silly. Still, she held her act. "If you're here to take me home, I won't let you." The voice that ripped from her chest sounded more menacing than she'd expected -so much that she was surprised at herself.

Kayde just raised both eyebrows in apparent disbelief -for he surely hadn't expected this reaction from the girl, and a ghost of a passing smirk fell over his face. "It's good to see you too, Iris. It's been awhile since last we were acquainted." And then, he tried to lower her sword with his index finger.

Iris did not let it fall. Instead, she thrusted a bit closer for good measure. "I'm serious, I'm not going home," she told him. "I'll fight you if you have to."

He relaxed, trying to ease her. "Iris, you're father and aunt have sent me to-." He did not get the chance to finish what he was saying.

"I know that," Iris interrupted. "I know that they sent you to come and stop me, and I don't care. I'm going to the army camp -I have to go." She squared her shoulders again, trying to reinforce her words. Even then, though, she knew that Kayde could most likely drag her right back home with relative ease.

"Relax," he said. "I'm not here to bring you back home -I'm here for your protection. I'm here to teach you how to fight -to teach you how to make a convincing soldier. If you'd given me a second to talk, maybe you wouldn't feel the need to make empty threats at me." He paused for a moment, and then emphasized, "I am here to help you." Now, his eyes fell to the blade at his throat. "So put the sword down. Please."

Iris stayed put, narrowing her eyes at him. She didn't know Kayde too well, after all, he was a distant family friend that had been gone from Eda for most of his life. For all she knew, he could be lying to her.

When Kayde saw that she had no intention of lowering the sword, he took a step back from it and met her gaze. "Dear girl, I could disarm you if I wanted. Sticking that against my throat does nothing -especially so since you're not holding it the right way." The words were contemptuous indeed, but they finally made Iris sheathe her sword.

"Good." He gave her a nod. "First lesson, then. A soldier may kill many men, but a good soldier will only kill necessary men. What I mean by that is... don't make enemies out of allies and don't pick unnecessary fights," he said, almost scolding her. "Especially fights that you can't win." The woods seemed to darken at his last words.

"I'm quite aware you'd win, so no need to rub it in," Iris told him. "I'm not, by any means, boasting about my knowledge of fighting or swordplay. I'm just letting you know that I would do absolutely anything for my father. His life is forfeit if I don't answer the draft -surely you know that, if you've seen him recently." She thought for a moment. "And how can I be sure you're not just lying to me -about trying to help?"