Chapter Fifty Two

Two days later, the group passed into Garhemia, now wearing disguises rather than armor. The general figured that looking normal would give them more protection than a breastplate.

Since they began the final rush, none of them had really spoken. In fact, the only words that the general had said since Ingred left were only ones related to the invasion... battle plans, as most would call them. It wasn't because anyone was angry. No. It was because there were barely any words left to say, especially with the end of their mission so close.

The only thing worth saying, a question, was one that all of the soldiers knew their general would never answer. He had told them he had sent Iris home due to awful reasons... well, why? That's what they wanted to know. What could be so terrible for Zayn to send the rogue home?

Ra wondered if Elliot Gwenneth had died. After all, the rogue had cared a lot about him. That was clear.

As the group looked around, they noticed that Garhemia looked different from Eldia, even if it was on the border. After they were in a good bit, they all noticed that they had reached a large plain. One that seemed to stretch on forever. This unnerved the general a bit, as he was used to forested regions.

The main thing everyone noticed was that it was quiet. Very quiet, aside from the galloping horses. It was as if no one else was alive in the entire world.

"Are we sure we're in the right spot, General?" Ra asked after a while of riding along the lonely land, somewhat worried, "This looks... abandoned."

"As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing," Zayn answered, "But we are definitely in the right place. Here in a little while you'll begin to see buildings and people. I can tell that from the maps I have been given. Be on your guard."

"So you know exactly how to get there?"

"Yes."

The group chose to believe his words, after all, he had not led them astray yet. No one said anything. Time passed. After a while, Zayn's words were proved true. Buildings were now apparent in the far distance. From what they could tell, the buildings they could see were part of a metropolis type area. It would take at least another hour of travel to really discern the details of the area.

"I'm surprised they don't have outlying villages," Shen commented.

"They did," the general said simply.

"What happened to them?"

"This war is not the first the Eldians ever had with Garhemians," Zayn mentioned, "In the last war with this country, the villages out here were destroyed. I guess they've cleaned up all the mess from it by now."

Truth be told, Zayn was glad for the silence that followed afterward. He didn't know much about the war that happened between the two before so he knew he wouldn't be able to answer many questions about it. Zayn's mind strayed from the topic though... from the war to Wallfront. He had not expected so much to happen there. He, in a sense, wished he'd have just kept his mouth shut. He hadn't expected for stress to override his senses as they had and cause him to screw up as badly as he did.

But he couldn't change it.

And if he could, well, he might go back and change it. Even though his ending with her was not a happy one --at least it was that. A set ending. If he'd never told her, he'd eventually have to say goodbye... yes. But it would be to Ingred. They would have nodded -maybe shook hands- in finality and parted ways forever. And that, that was not an end. No. It was because he knew that he wouldn't let it be. Why? Because there would always feel like there was something missing and, being the way he was, he'd be desperate to fill in the holes. But... well, then, he couldn't.