Chapter Twenty Three

Iris woke up the next morning to the incessant clanging of weapons. She opened her eyes slowly as she sat up and immediately found the source of the noise.

Kayde was dueling Dregar... and winning. Iris could tell that much from the moment she laid eyes on the two figures. Dregar had a layer of sweat on his forehead and was panting while Kayde was still swinging effortlessly. The whole scouting group was already geared up and watching them fight, including the general.

"Damn," Dregar said and swung his sword again, and even though the blow looked very finesse and solid, Kayde deflected it.

It didn't take Kayde awfully long to completely disarm Dregar. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood, laughing a little and chattering among themselves.

"Where did you learn to wield a blade like that?" Dregar shook Kayde's hand, respect clouding his eyes.

Kayde pulled up his sleeve to show the tattoo on his bicep. Immediately Dregar's face paled, and Iris wondered why seeing it had affected him so much. Dregar quickly spoke before Kayde could say anything.

"You're a Remorda Guardian," he said, "Of course you're so damned good with that sword, what in the hell are you doing here?"

This made everyone stop talking, and stare at Kayde. Judging by the reactions, Iris wondered if she was perhaps the only one there that had not been aware of what being a Remorda Guardian meant.

"That I am," he confirmed, and then pulled his sleeve back down over his arm. "And I am here because I am headed to Wallfront to protect our country, as I mentioned previously."

"A Remorda Guardian, eh?" said General Zayn, "I would like to challenge you, then."

Kayde turned to Zayn, who looked a tad confident. Iris wondered instantaneously who would win between the two. Even though she had bested the general when he wielded his daggers, she hadn't been nearly as successful when he used his real weapon against her. Also, Kayde had been her mentor, who had taught her most of what she knew. She knew that this was sure to be an interesting fight.

"Very well, then," he held his sword out, and the general stepped up, ready for combat.

After a few moments, and a shake of hands, they began. Iris watched intently as their swords clashed together. She admitted to herself after a few minutes that both of them were absolutely terrifying. Neither one of them was able to gain the advantage for a very long time. Iris was surprised to find Kayde fully-focused.

She watched as Zayn wielded his blade with such a refinement that she almost felt as if his sword was an extension of his very arm. She wondered if he had focused so intensely when he had fought against her.

They sparred for the greater part of ten minutes. General Zayn was a fantastic combatant, to be sure. But Kayde, even with the injuries, danced a dance that even the general could not counter. Kayde Vorantis had won. Every member there was agape by the time the swordplay ended.

"Gods' damn," Zayn couldn't help but say. "How many years have you been at this?"

Kayde lowered his blade. "Since I was a young child. You're quite good yourself."

The general took care to shake Kayde's hand. "That's a compliment when you're giving it. Well done. I haven't fought someone of your like in ages."

Iris was no doubt dazzled by the spar. Despite having trained with both of them, their skill still vastly outdid her expectations. She inspected them both, as well as the rest of their group, and wondered how she'd hold up in a spar. She looked to Kayde, and decided that that wasn't happening anytime in the next life. She looked to Zayn and thought the same.