Chapter Forty Seven

Wallfront was a lot like Alabast in a lot of ways. The same stony buildings and walls covered it's expanse, and a copious amount of people occupied the streets. Iris wondered how many more there would be out in daytime. However, there was one thing different about Wallfront: it had a militaristic fortress on its outskirts. Iris imagined that it was there to protect the town from things like the Tokens, considering Wallfront was right on the country's borders.

"Where can we find an inn?" Iris asked with a yawn. She was tired from riding all day long.

"I can lead us to one here," Zayn answered without looking at her, "I've been here before."

Iris nodded in response even though she knew that he couldn't see her right now. The rest of the group followed the general without questions. As expected, a little while later, they found themselves in front of an inn, just as Zayn promised. The general and the group were quick to tie their horses up with the others and go in.

This innkeeper looked bored, Iris noticed. She figured that Wallfront probably didn't have near as many visitors as it normally would have, what with the war going on. When he saw them entering, he perked up a little. Zayn went to the counter and asked for a room --as did everyone else. No petty conversation ensued; no one had enough energy.

Each of them were led to separate rooms immediately, and once Iris entered hers, she went to lay down. The bed was comfortable --she noticed this on contact and wondered if it would be so soft if she was less tired. She didn't wonder for long. No, she was long since ready to rest her aching muscles.

However, she didn't. Not yet. The moment Iris closed her eyes, there was a soft knock at her door. She grumbled in distaste and got to her feet to go and answer the door. Her eyes were half closed, but she could still tell who it was through her half-conscious vision. She stepped aside, letting him in.

"What do you need, Kayde?" she asked, not unkindly.

For a minute, the guardian was quiet. He just paced the room with his eyes downcast --as if he were thinking of what to say to her.

"Is there something wrong?" she asked, waking up a little more once she sensed his distress. He stopped pacing at the sound of her voice and looked up at her. There was something in his eyes now that she couldn't place. She shut the door and took a cautious step in his direction.

"Kayde?"

"I think it's time for me to go back home, dear girl," he said after a few more seconds, "And I think you know that too."

"What?" she asked in surprise, eyes widening.

"We're in Wallfront now. This is where I promised I'd... this is where I leave you," he stumbled, not looking her in the eyes. At the words, things went silent. Impossibly silent. Not because Iris didn't have something to say, but because it would be impossible to say anything through the large lump that had quickly formed in her throat. Now she was awake. After a minute, she managed to speak.

"Kayde, we're not leaving Wallfront yet," she whispered, "If I remember correctly, you said you would stay until we left Wallfront. Do you remember that?" she asked him, and then another thought struck her mind. "Or why don't you ask if you can go with us all the way to the fortress? The general trusts you. We need you..." Her words were fast and barely coherent. This always seemed to happen when she was stressed out.

"Iris- I..." he started, but was interrupted.

"I need you," she finished, more slowly, "You're my mentor. My guardian. My best friend..."