Chapter Thirty Seven

"Oh my gods. You are actually insane, aren't you?"

Iris only shrugged as Kayde shook his head at her plan. Perhaps she shouldn't have said anything to him. Ah, it was too late to go back now. She'd done the damage.

"Come off it," she rolled her eyes. "Everything's going to be fine."

"There's no way this is going to end well." The guardian rubbed at his temples.

"I don't see you coming up with a better plan," she sniffed. "The captain has already made it abundantly clear that he's not going to talk at all to a soldier. We need to know what he knows, Kayde. I'm doing the best I can, here."

"And you will think he will talk to a woman?" Kayde asked, not unkindly.

"I have to hope he will."

"And what of your group? What of the General? What will they say when you walk out of this room looking as dainty as a flower? There's an immense difference between an actual woman and a man pretending to be one. Anyone who saw you would see immediately through Ingred." While Iris knew that might be the case, she couldn't help but think she might be able to pull it off if she had to.

"Unless you want me to put you in a skirt, you relax," she said, "I'm not going to let any of them see me. I'll go at night, when everyone is in bed. Don't take me for a fool. I don't have so many bats in my attic. "

"Do you not?"

"Kayde," she said, as if she were warning him, "I am doing what I can to save my village. My family. Hell, even your family. Would you not risk everything for your family's lives?"

"Perhaps," he said quickly, and then his voice softened, "But I would also risk everything for you. Which is why I am begging you not to do this. Please be sane, Iris. There has to be another way."

"I'll be fine, Kayde. I swear it. If you're so worried, then watch my back," she suggested with a small smile.

The guardian sighed, but nodded in agreement.

"I can't believe I'm agreeing to this. Perhaps I'm mad, as well. Are you absolutely sure that I can't talk you out of this?" he said as a last attempt to change her mind. Iris shook her head, and motioned to a bag hidden in the corner of the inn room with her hand. Kayde's eyes snapped to where she gestured and then back to her.

"It's my father. And plus, I already bought the disguise," she told him.

"Funny you call that a disguise now," he pointed out, "What do you call what you're wearing now?"

The question took her by surprise.

"I don't know," she said honestly, looking down at her armor, "Maybe Ingred Gwenneth is who I really am."

"Your bats are showing." It was a jest.

"Oh, hush," she grumbled. Kayde laughed, but rapidly composed himself.

"I understand what you are saying," he promised, and then changed the subject, "You might want to find a better place for whatever you have in that bag before the General gets back. He's sure to finish his dinner any minute now." With a nod, she scurried over and scooped it up. Within a minute, the costume was hidden elsewhere. Just in time too. As Kayde predicted, Zayn had finished his dinner. Both the guardian and the rogue watched as he opened the door and walked over to his bed.