Chapter Fifty Three

10 days later:

Emperor Geh'lien Rus said nothing as he was escorted to the main hall of the Garhemian fortress. Even captured, he would still hold his head high. Should he die, he knew he would do so proudly. After all, he was the face of the Eldians. He did not wish for their country to appear weak.

He couldn't help but wonder when his death would occur. Sooner? Or later? Surely that was what was intended for him. One wouldn't go to so much trouble to do anything else, he figured. The emperor hoped to the gods that he wouldn't be tortured. As much as he would will himself not to shout out, he knew that they would still see his pain. He grimaced for a moment at the thought and then regained his composure.

After a bit of walking, the two men that had captured him opened two big doors, leading him to a dimly lit room. At first, he could make out nothing. But... as he was brought further inside, he saw a man. Robed completely in black, the pale figure sat atop a sort of throne.

"Ah! At last... my company has arrived!" the man said, with a sort of strange... cheer? Delight? The emperor was confused. The man on the cathedra stood up, his black hair falling down his waist. He walked closer to the emperor, clasping his hands together.

"Hello there, Geh'lien. I hear that that is your name," the strange man said with a smile, "Am I mistaken?"

"Names matter not," Emperor Rus answered, head held high, "Not in this situation, at the very least. Why am I here? Death, I assume."

"What an ill-boding conversation," the man smiled, "An ominous greeting, if you will. I'd hoped to begin on a lighter note. It helps with... hmm, concord? Is that the word I seek? Yes... I believe it is. And as for names, they matter to me. They make situations closer --more personal, I should like to think."

The emperor was taken aback at the man's very nature, but did not show it. As he stared into his enemy's eyes... he saw something. Insanity, perhaps. Tranquil insanity.

"Is that so?" Geh'lien's voice was indifferent.

"Yes. It is so. I will give you mine. I am Erodyne. Erodyne Maug-Rin."

"Well, Erodyne," the emperor said, voice even, "Concord may be in your interest... but I would not form any sort of camaraderie with anyone in this organization, not after the Tokens have so carelessly ended the lives of innocents. And, since you desire such a personal atmosphere, I would say this directly to you: even if you portray kindness to me here, you are a false man. I know, even without meeting this Tokenmaster, that he did not bring me here to simply trade words with you. I am not sure what position you hold here... perhaps a councilman? A magistrate? I can only assume you are higher up due to the very nature of your room. But, regardless, no matter who you are, I have no desire to keep speaking to you. You can tell your master that if he wishes to kill me, he can come and do it himself. You can tell him that I have no time for a fool's niceties."

Erodyne's eyes widened for a second, and for a minute, he was at a loss for words.

"Brave words for a captured man," he said, and looked at the two men holding Emperor Rus, "Leave us. Everything is under control. Your mission is complete."

The emperor felt them remove their hands and then listened as the two infiltrators made their way out. However, he did not remove his gaze from Erodyne.

"I believe there has been a lack of understanding between the both of us, Geh'lien. I would fulfill your request... were it possible. I would simply be talking to myself, for I am the master of this fortress. This army," Erodyne said.