The Devil's Own

My arms continued burning throughout the entire day, I could feel the marks on my arms shifting and countless times I had to stop myself from screaming out in pain.

Almost halfway through the school day it got to be too much and I had to leave, so I packed up my few things and stood from my seat interrupting the teacher that was currently in the middle of a lesson.

"Ms.Vespillo? Is everything alright?" The teacher asked as I walked to the front of the room with my teeth clenched.

The expression on my face must have been scary because she moved back the closer I got and I could hear the rest of the students whispering but I couldn't really focus on much because the pain in my arms was so intense.

So with a quick shake of my head I left all those curious faces behind and walked out of the class and to my car silently contemplating how I was going to drive home.

Not wanting to take the chance and get into a wreak, I turned in the direction of my house and shifted.

Not the sense of changing into a animal, I call it shifting because I'm able to move from one place to another in a matter of seconds. It's one of those special things about me that I'm not able to explain. It was actually an accident that I discovered this power. Another story for a another time.

It's not a power I use alot because when I do it drains alot of my energy and leaves me nauseous so I only use it when I absolutley have to.

When I came out of the shift I was in front of my house and I stumbled and had to close my eyes as the world spum aroumd me, fighting myself not to throw up, carefully reaching into my pocket I pulled out my phone and unlocked the front door. Going inside I locked it behind me and immediately headed for my secret room.

Walking into the kitchen I went into the pantry and spoke.

"Voice command Genisis." I said and a beep sounded

"Please confirm I.D."

"Blade, sixteen, Osiris, Jade, Falsetto."

"I. D. Comfirmed."The computer said and the wall at the back of the room slid to the side to reveal a heavy steel door. The voice command isn't as easy as it seems, it changes every day and with each code the words must be said in a certain tone and different speeds, plus the voice has to sound like mine.

With all the creatures out there that are able to mimic a persons voice this was one of the precautions I took to keep people out.

Walking over to the steel door I leaned up to the eye scanner and a red light flashed in my eye before I took one of my shaking hands and placed it on the thumb scanner before a green light flashed and a lock released and the door swung open.

I slipped through the crack as soon as it was wide enough before the door slammed shut. Before I could move I shut my eyes as a blinding light flashed and I blindly raced to the other side of the room with my eyes still closed and shakingly put in the code to disable the defenses in the room.

The steel door only opens for a few seconds and only wide enough for me to slip through before it closes and locks to keep multiple intruders out. Right inside the door is a sensor pad that activates when stepped on and a bright blinding light flashes that will stun anyone and if they're not able to get to the security system on the other side of the room in time a slide away wall closes off the entrance cosing off the room and releases poisinous darts that automatically kill on contact.

Overkill?

No.

Not for what's in this room.

When the stunner light went out I opened my eyes and looked around the room.

Immediately in front of me in two cases I see the two reinforced glass cases containing two stone tablets I bought from an Egytian dealer. They are practically identical except for the symbols on them and the small missing piece on the corner of one of them.

I passed the two angelic blades  and  went over to the bookshelf. The pain in my arms hadn't worsened but it hadn't improved either so it was a struggle to look through the books. Pulling down one that looked promising I sat down at the small table in the room and started slowly flipping through it.

After  flipping through the pages for almost fifteen minutes with no ssuccess, I was about to get another book when I saw a picture of a black bird.

Opening up the book to the blade I read what it said.

The Crow also known as the Devil-Bird of the sky. Do not be fooled by their small size, they are natural born hunters and manipulators with the ability to make other birds attack you as well.

They posess great memory and will remember a face for a long time. If you ever anger a crow be prepared to be attacked by that crow for the rest of your life.

Crows also known as the harbingers of death and misfortune.

One for sorrow,

Two for mirth,

Three for a wedding,

Four for a birth,

Five for silver,

Six for gold,

Seven for a secret not to be told.

Eight for heaven,

Nine for hell,

And ten for the devil’s own.

I stopped reading at that last sentence and slowing pulled my glove off the arm covering the crow. The once red design of the creature was now completly black except for the still red eyes of the crow.

Right on my wrist in bold black numbering was the number ten and it seemed to be beating in time with my pulse.

I looked back at the words in the book then at my arm again.

"The Devil's own?"