Shadows

The day was actually calm, except for the fact that Rebecca was everywhere.

I knew that I had told her I didn't mind walking with her to her classes (all of which we shared) but I didn't think that meant everywhere.

I could also tell David was around, following us at a distance. By lunch time I was almost used to her being around, she wasn't asking a lot of questions or annoying me; she was just there.

Walking into the cafeteria, a few heads turned in our direction but the majority of people payed us no mind.

I got my lunch with Rebecca still following behind me as I sat down at an empty table.

"Mind if I sit here?" She asked and I just shrugged my shoulders and she took that as a yes and sat beside me.

We ate in silence and I couldn't help but take sideways glances at her.

That was until Jarod sat in the seat across from me.

"Hey Samantha." He said and I nodded. His eyes were ping ponging between Rebecca and I, a question clear in his eyes but I wasn't going to be the one to answer him.

To say that lunch was awkward would be an understatement. No one spoke but everyone except for me had questions. I was glad when the bell rang.

Everyone got up at the same time and I frowned as we all walked out of the cafeteria and went to the next class, which conviently the four of us had together.

We walked into the same classroom that the hellhounds had attacked in yesterday, I wasn't suprised to see that there was no evidence of the damage anywhere to be found. I sat in the same seat I had yesterday and my shadows sat around me.

I'm not sure if it's this room or the time but I think 'He' set this up.

Jumping up out of my seat I pulled my gun from behind my back as everyone else in the room backed away from me except for my shadows and Jarod.

"What's wrong Sam?" Rebecca asked as she aslo pulled out a weapon, a hooked sword and scanned the room for danger.

Someone must have went and called the principal because him and the other people who were in the office with me the other day came flooding into the room and were staring between me and my gun.

"Ms. Vespillo? What's going on?" The principal asked as he came to my side but I also ignored his question as I listened. The was a howl off in the distance, not the howl of a wolf. The howl of something much more dangerous.

I could hear as their paws hit the ground and I counted more than the usual three. Much, much more. I took out my other gun out of my bag that I thankfully kept with me and clicked off both safties as I moved towards the windows. Everyone else followed me as I looked out at the field. They would be coming from the woods at the edge of the field so before they could make an appearance I opened the windows and jumped out.

We were on the first floor so it wasn't realy a jump, more like a hop. As soon as I was outside I sprinted towards the forest as the ones I left behind called my name.

I barely even made it halfway across the field when the first hounds came into view. Wasting no time I raised my guns and fired. They continued forward for a few feet before falling to the side and twitching. I ducked and avoided losing my head as another hound dived over me, rolling I sprang up and fired but the mutt dodged it and came at me from the side and another one came at me from the opposite side.

They both attacked at the same time, both determined to tear out my throat. I dodged one but the other managed to knock me down and I felt it's weight on my back and it's hot breath on the back of my neck, but then it weight was just gone and over me stood Rebecca.

I stood up and saw the others from the room trying to fight against the hellhounds. Even though they weren't doing much damage at least they were keeping them busy. I picked up my gun from where it had fallen and started shooting.

As soon as I shot the last one I looked towards the forest where they had ran out of and saw the man again. He's always been there after every hellhound attack. I'm not sure if he's aware that I can see him but there's something about him that tells me he's dangerous.

"Sam, you okay?" Jarod asked as he ran towards me.

I looked around the field that was now bare of all the hellhounds bodies as their fire had already consumed them then sighed and began walking back towards the school only to see the majority of the students staring out the windows at us.

As Rebecca jogged to my side I sighed because I knew that my quiet life was now over.