Getting a Job

"C'mon, Mike!" Macey told me. "You can't sit on this couch forever!"

"Yes I can!" I replied without taking my eyes off the TV.

She stood in front of the TV to try and block it.

"You really think you're going to make money by watching TV all day?" she asked.

"I'm sure it's possible somewhere," I said while adjusting my head to look around her.

"Well, it's not possible here!"

She then shut off the TV and bent down to look at me eye-to-eye.

"Look," she said in a serious tone. "When you dropped out of high school, I promised Mom I'd make sure you had a successful life."

"I know," I told her, not really caring.

"And you're not going to get anywhere in life if you don't try and get a job somewhere!"

"Mace, you know me; I'm not really a hard working guy!"

"I know, but as your big sister, I have to keep you motivated to do your best!"

"You don't really have to, you know."

"I know, but a Schmidt never fails. Mom got really pissed when you dropped out, but maybe you could make it up to her by trying to get your life back together!"

I then deeply sighed. I hated working, but I hated disappointed Mom even more.

"Fine," I said. "I'll look through the paper and find out who's offering jobs."

"That's the spirit!" She said with a smile.

She then went into the bathroom to take her evening shower.

I really didn't know what I was thinking when I decided to quit school, but I didn't think it would be like this. I have no money, my parents are upset, and I'm living with my sister in her apartment! I really hit rock bottom. It really didn't help I didn't like physical labor, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

So I went over to today's paper (Macey conveniently left it on the kitchen table), and I looked through the Want Ads.

I saw job listings for cashiers, drivers, supply stockers, and other stuff. None of them were really up my alley. I then threw the paper on the table with frustration. When I did, Macey got out of the bathroom with towels wrapped around her body and hair.

"Find anything?" she asked as she took the towel off her hair and started drying it.

"Nothing I feel like I can do," I said with a groan, to which she sighed in frustration.

"There's gotta be SOMETHING even you can do," she said as she picked up the paper.

She flipped through some things before stopping and appearing to read an ad.

"How about this?" she asked as she grabbed a red Sharpie from the table and drew a circle in the paper.

She then gave it to me and I looked at what was circled. The first thing I saw was what looked like a giant teddy bear with a top hat and bow tie, as well as giant blue eyes.

Next to it read the following:

HELP WANTED! Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. Family pizzeria looking for security guard to work the night shift.

Mondays through Fridays, 12 am to 6 am.

Monitor cameras, insure safety of equipment and animatronic characters.

Not responsible for injury/dismemberment.

$120 a week.

"Sounds simple enough for you," she told me. "Looks like you just gotta watch security cameras."

I was just still staring at the ad with confusion.

"What's this about dismemberment?" I asked, not expecting her to know the answer.

She took the paper back from me and read it again.

"Maybe it's just a legal thing," she said with a shrug. "You know, if the worst happened, you know?"

"I guess. But it's only $120 a week! That's like $4 an hour!"

"Wow! And here I thought you didn't know how to do math!"

"Oh, shut up!"

"Ok, so it's not the best money," she continued, "but is there any other job you would want to have here?"

She got me there.

"Fine," I told her, taking the paper back. "I'll call them and ask about the job."

"Thank you," she said. "And if it helps, don't feel like you have to do this for money. Do it for Mom and Dad. Ok?"

"Ok..."

She then smiled and went into her bedroom.

I groaned and called the number. I didn't want a job, but I didn't have a choice. Though to be honest, this didn't seem like a difficult job.