Macey's Research

"Mike, can I talk to you got a second?" Macey asked.

"Sure, I guess," I replied and muted the TV.

"You know how you said something about that pizza place you work at didn't feel right?"

"Yeah...?"

"Well, while you were sleeping this morning, I did my own research on the place."

"Did you find something?"

I was actually curious.

"Unfortunately, yes..."

"Unfortunately?"

She then handed me some pieces of paper to read. I took a glance at them and saw they looked like newspaper articles.

The first one read "Kids Vanish at Local Pizzeria - Bodies Not Found"

That immediately got my attention. I kept reading.

"Two local children were reportedly lured into a back room during the late hours of operation at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza on the night of June 26th. While video surveillance identified the man responsible and led to his capture the following morning, the children themselves were never found and are presumed dead. Police think that the suspect dressed as a mascot to earn the children's trust."

"Holy shit..." I said quietly.

"It gets worse," she explained. "Read the next one."

So I pulled the next article out and read it.

"Five Children Now Reported Missing - Suspect Convicted."

"Five children are now linked to the incident at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, where a man dressed as a cartoon mascot lured them into a back room. While the suspect has been charged, the bodies themselves were never found. Freddy Fazbear's Pizza has been fighting an uphill battle ever since to convince families to return to the pizzeria."

"That's strange... When I went for the interview, everything seemed fine! There were kids all over the place, happy as can be!"

"Keep going," she commanded. She was really starting to look nervous.

I looked at the last article she had given me.

"Local Pizzeria Threatened With Shutdown Over Sanitation."

"Local pizzeria Freddy Fazbear's Pizza has been threatened again with shutdown by the health department over reports of foul odor coming from the much-loved animal mascots. Police were contacted when parents reportedly noticed what appeared to be blood and mucus around the eyes and mouths of the mascots. One parent alikened them with 'reanimated carcasses'."

"I read about this one a little bit last night," I admitted.

"Mike... What the fuck is going on here?!"

I deeply exhaled. I could tell how worried she was about all this. So I told her everything. I told her about The Phone Guy's messages. I told her about my contract that prevents me from leaving. I told her about the hobo's advice. I told her about the possibility of dying by being shoved into a costume. By the time I was done, she looked sickly pale

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" She finally asked.

"Would you have believed me?"

She replied with silence.

"If I would've told you that on my first night back, you would've said I was overreacting about work and that I was trying to get out of it."

More silence. It looked like she was about to tear up.

"Can't you just call the police or something?" She asked after a while.

I shook my head.

"I caught a glimpse of the contract. It read "If, at any time, I call the police while employed at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, I understand I will be sued for everything I own."

"That's just stupid!" Macey said with a red face.

I just shrugged.

"Not much I can do," I replied.

"Well, all I can say is... Go to work tonight and try to survive. Take the homeless guy's advice and keep an eye on everyone. I'll try to do more research, maybe find a way around your contract."

"You'd do that?" I asked.

"Of course, Mike! You're my brother and I love you! I gotta make sure you're okay at all times."

"Thanks, Macey... Really."

She then smiled and looked at her watch. The smile quickly faded.

"It's about time for you to leave," she told me.

I gave a quick nod and got ready. Before I left, she gave me a tight hug and started crying.

"It's all my fault..." she whispered. "I HAD to make you take this stupid job..."

"It's okay," I replied while patting on her back. "There's no way you could've known."

"I know..."

"I'll be fine," I told her confidently. "Honest."

"Okay..."

With that, I said bye and left for work. I was starting to wonder what happened to those kids that went missing. When I got in my car though, it hit me; maybe, just maybe, they're inside the animatronic suits! It would make sense; that's why the bodies were never found and it's why the characters smelled and had blood and mucus around the eyes and mouth! But there were only 4 characters... and 5 kids. I wonder where the 5th one went...

As I pulled out of the driveway, I asked myself if I could keep my promise to Macey...