Chapter 18

"I might only have one match, but I can make an explosion." - Rachel Platten, Fight Song

Witch Kingdom
Northern Section
The Wiccan Estate

Artemis' POV

I gave them almost a week to solve their own problems, to let the witches know about my existence.

The witch council didn't.

The Wiccan Estate still stood tall, albeit faded and beyond repair.  The smaller houses surrounding it were half burnt and crumbling, no signs of life. Snow covered the ground in thick layers, the cold seeping under my skin. It has been five centuries since all the Wiccans by blood living in peace and harmony died in this place.

Genocide.

The council feared that one day the Wiccans will rule, even though we already distanced our clan. It's not enough, they decreed we have to die.

But I lived.

"I can sense them fast approaching." Heaven spoke beside me. We left Colson in charged, it was only me and Heaven as well as a few guards. I released a wave of magic minutes ago, summoning all witches in the Witch Kingdom. The council will be here any minute with them. They better be.

Each clan portalled in, staring at us in confusion and wonder. The last to arrive were the council, looking very frightened.

"Who are you?" Hanes asked with authority, before finally registering that it was Heaven beside me. "King Heaven Aer."

Hushed whispers erupted among the witches, no doubt hearing about his quest: killing the winter warrior dragon.

"Council," Heaven nodded rather passively. "This is my queen, Artemis Wiccan."

Their reaction was priceless, unable to speak from shock and disbelief. So I spoke, "I am the daughter of Thana Valentine and Arkas Wiccan."

My supposed-to-be grandfather shook with nerves. The council looked taken aback. Others though, they looked curious, confused and awed.

"Wiccans are gone. They died in the epidemia." One of the clan leaders spoke, wanting  confirmation as well.

"Epidemia," I scoffed. "The fools that you called council thought it's better to end our bloodline than see us thrive and lead the kingdom. They feared that one day we'll rule the land, just because we are Hekate's decendants. They don't want us to take away their authority over you, over witches, so they murdered our clan. Didn't you, grandfather?"

My question seemed to drain his face of color. "Those are lies, the council has never -"

"Lies!" I growled, thunders roaring in response. The scene of the Witch Cleansing replayed on the background for everyone to see. Fire, death and cries filled the area; those escaping were killed, those inside their homes were burned. They suffered while the council watched as if it was some play. "You killed innocent people because of your greed. Tell me, what did we do to deserve that? My mother was your freakin' daughter for goodness' sake yet you had the heart to kill her; my father was a good man and helped many people in the kingdom but you were too power-hungry to see that; tell me, what justify your actions? Nothing but greed."

All the witches turned their accusing glares to the trembling council. "You said they were wiped out by an epidemia. You said they released the dragon to kill everyone." People were throwing questions at them, hungry for answers and full of unaswered thoughts.

Oh judgment.

"I was a victim of their pretense," There was silence when Heaven spoke. No one dared interfere, they just stared in anticipation. "They informed us Arkas' dragon went on rampage, killing my late father, King Hallin Air. They said no one stopped the dragon, when in truth no one's left to do so. The burden's forever in my shoulders, being the killer of my queen's brother." Gasps were heard around us, all of them stunned. How can I have a dragon for a brother? "My father did something unforgivable to the dragon; my father killed Arkas of the North."

There were different reactions among the crowd, the past scenarios slowly fading in the background as their attention shifted to us. "I, Artemis Wiccan, daughter of Arkas and blood of Hekate, reclaim my right to the throne as the new Elixr of the Witch Kingdom." I raised my staff, thunders rolled up high and the ground shook, rebuilding the crumbling Wiccan Estate brick by brick. Cracks mended, walls rebuilt, and it's majesty looking new and elegant once more. The surroundings looked alived once again, repairing the old sanctuary of the Wiccans. Everybody kneeled in front of me. All except the council.

"The council still stand, Wiccan. You can't control us." One of them spoke, clearly finding comfort to be in a group.

"No, I won't control you." I shook my head. "I'll make you human until you are the lowest rank in our land. I won't need any ritual, trust me."

I removed all their magic, leaving them powerless and useless. Now they'll lose the very dignity they're protecting. Their faces turned old and wrinkly, smelling like old age and death.

"These honourable council members will be mere humans from now on. Their tyranny ends now."

"You're accusing us of being greedy when all you really wanted is to be the queen!" Hanes growled in desperation. "You're just like us. You only wanted a kingdom for yourself to rule!"

"Nah-uh. Who says I'm ruling you?" I chuckled, amused.

I relished in their fearful yet confused expression. The clans looked at each other in wonder as well, having no idea what I meant by those words. Heaven's eyes showed mirth as he stared at me. He already knows my plans.

"You said it yourself, you are the only Wiccan left to rule." Hanes grumbled with distaste. As if the mere words left a foul taste in his tongue. His haggard appearance as a human yet overflowing disrespect made me realize I should've punished them more. Later.

"The goddess Hekate allowed the Winter Warrior Dragon to be brought back to life. He is Hekate's champion, my brother, and he holds my father's magic. Ahba will be your new King." I threw my staff in the air, the dragon emblem expanded and it grew into the Ahba I know. He roared which made the whole realm tremble before landing as a very handsome man in front of me. We had the same hair, eyes, and armour. He's well-built like Heaven, his crown showing the image of the dragon he can turn into at will. His gaze travelled the crowd, inspecting the faces of the witches he'll rule before turning his gaze back at me and Heaven.

"Sister," he smiled warmly, and I can feel women sighing dreamily around us.

"Ahba," I chuckled, giving him a hug. Heaven and him nodded at each other in greeting before he adressed the people around us.

"My sister's the queen of the Air Kingdom, so as the other Wiccan left I have to take charge. I know she is your Elixr and I can never be her, but as long as I rule under Hekate's guidance I can assure you that this kingdom will thrive. This is my ascension!"

Cheers erupted all around, the former council too weak and shivering to argue. As Ahba lifted his hand all the snow that covered the land evaporated and formed a glittering hologram of the goddess. The cheers went wild, the witches surfed my brother inside the Wiccan Estate and seated him on his throne. I felt the shift of power, alive and pure.

I just hailed a king.

"I'm so proud of you, love. No one can resist such opportunity, yet you handed the throne like a piece of bread." Heaven muttered beside me, caging me in his arms.

"I don't want power. I want to be with you."

"I'm so lucky I have you." Then his attention drifted to the awkwardly crowding council, "What do we do with them?"

"I'm thinking of omegas in the wolf packs. We could give them as gifts. The packs will love having them." I inwardly chuckled at their horrified expression.

"If that's what my queen wants." He muttered, still staring at me lovingly before turning to one of the guards. "Guard them well, I will inform Alpha King Alessio so he can send men to get them here. If anyone tries to escape, kill him. Escort them until you reach their designated packs, inform them they're Queen Artemis' enemy."

And this is how we solved the Witch Kingdom's uproar.