Chapter 28- Cold Gray Chains

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: COLD GREY CHAINS

 Kind of a short chapter! Sorry! More action coming soon!

 I looked up, hanging forward by the chains on my wrists.  There was Bellatrix, looming over me with a nefarious grin plastered across her sickly face.  Around her stood the Malfoys (All except Draco), Wormtail, and none other than the Dark Lord himself, Voldemort.  I looked up wearily, fatigue painted across my worn features.  It felt like I hadn't eaten or slept properly in days.  My wrists were numb from being suspended in the air for what seemed like ages. 

"Hello, Love." Bellatrix purred.  I slumped back against the wall as the group advanced.  The cloaks of the Dark Lord flowed around him.  I felt as if I was in the presence of Lucifer himself.  I visibly shivered at the the thought.  Bellatrix's clawed finger ran under my chin and I stared at the ground as to avoid her harsh gaze.

"LOOK AT ME!" She roared.  My eyes flicked up to meet hers instantly.  A grin cracked across her yellow, craggy teeth.  Her eyes glistened with hatred and violence.  

"Now, then..."  I glanced over to see whom the words belonged to.  Narcissa.  She stood farther back, wringing her hands and looking rather uncomfortable.  The Dark Lord advanced again, pushing Bellatrix aside, who simply giggled manically.  I shifted against the wall as my eyes met Voldemort's. I exhaled deeply through my nose. 

"Do you know why you are here?" The Dark Lord asked.  His voice was so calm, yet so snake-like it made me want to vomit.  I couldn't look him in the eyes.  Not him. 

I shook my head no, too petrified to speak. 

"Here," He said, gesturing to the whole of the area with extended bony arms, "alive." He whispered coldly.  I squeezed my eyes shut in hopes of mustering the courage to answer. 

"No." I answered.

"You, were born for one sole purpose.  To gather information on Harry Potter.  Your whole life has been planned for this moment." His eyes seemed to glow in the eerie light of the torches.  Slowly, he drew his wand from the folds of his cloaks.  My breath hitched in my throat, and I could have sworn I saw Narcissa tense. I pushed myself back up against the wall, closing my eyes.

I heard his robes brush the filthy ground as he stepped forward.  The wand pressed into the skin of my forehead as he drew away my memories, taking anything that could help him get to Harry.  Every muscle in my body went stiff. 

What would happen once they were done with me?  Once I had completed my purpose, would they kill me?

I sighed and he stepped away again.  Wormtail scurried forth to bottle the memories in a phial for later use.  I felt violated.  Those were my memories.  I felt terrible. And my memories were going to be one of the things that would help Voldemort kill Harry. Harry Potter. One of my best friends and I would have a hand in the events that lead to his death.  I shook with violent rage.

 "Narcissa." Voldemort summoned her and she stepped forth. With a flick of his pale hand he drew all, but Narcissa from the dungeons.  I listened as the doors creaked shut, and then scanned the woman in front of me.

 This was the woman who had lied to me for the entire breadth of my existence.  I sighed as my eyes finally met her icy blue ones.  Her cold stare had a twinge of guilt to it.  But no matter what I thought she felt, I would remain as apathetic as possible.  Her stoic gaze wavered and dropped to the floor, but I kept my eyes trained dangerously on her. 

"Iris I-"

"Mercury." I corrected. Only my friends could call me Iris. 

"Right-er- Mercury.  They will keep you here as an incentive for your friends." She said, wringing her hands as her gaze hardened.  Her eyes flicked up to me to see my reaction but I maintained a glacial expression. "I can't do anything to-"

"I never expected that you would." I hissed. Narcissa sighed. 

"The house elves will provide anything you need.  They'll let you move into your bedroom within the week." She said before turning on her heel and removing herself from the room.  I scoffed before leaning back against the wall.  All I could do was pray that Harry would be okay.  How could I have believed that Bellatrix would have actually wanted to help me?  I felt sick,  wrapping my arms around my legs, I rested my chin on my knees.

 ~

"You need anything miss?" I looked up to see a house elf standing over me. He had glossy blue eyes the size of tennis balls, and pale green skin. He was draped in a worn burlap sack that was riddled with stains. 

"Tea?" I asked, voice rough from lack of hydration.  He nodded before scurring away again.  At least someone would talk to me.  It wasn't a moment later when the house elf came back in, tea sploshing around as he hurried over to me.  He handed me the mug and I took it gratefully. 

"Thank you." I said with a smile. The house elf nodded awkwardly before ducking away again.  I loved the warmth of the mug.  I leaned back against the wall to let my thoughts envelope me.