Chapter 32- Hello Again

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO: HELLO AGAIN

 I almost didn't know how it happened, but all of the sudden I had found myself in his arms.  I used my remaining energy to shift into my human form, his hand had gone straight to my wound, blood had pumped out between his fingers in crimson rivulets.

My skin was blanched by the time he got me to where all the wounded were being cared for.  I was bandaged up and left to rest, that was that. 

It must have been a few hours later when George came back to see me, and he had told me Bellatrix was dead, and so was Voldemort.  The war had ended.

I'd never felt such relief wash over me, consuming me so that every muscle seemed to suddenly relax from it's perpetual tenseness.  George took my hand, lacing his fingers with mine, his thumb gently grazing the skin on the back of my hand. 

"George?" I asked, voice hoarse from under-use. 

"Hm?"

"Thank you."

He smiled softly at me, kneeling at my bedside, still holding my hand. 

"Anything for you." He rested his head on the edge of my bed, looking up at me with soft brown eyes. "Get some rest, love."

I nodded languidly, letting my head sink down into the pillow before sleep overtook me. 

 ~One Week Later~

The Malfoys were gone, and I returned to the Burrow with George and the Weasleys.  I thought I'd never get to see the tilted rooms and twisted staircase again.  It was home to me.  I sighed in relief the second I walked through the door, dragging my trunk behind me. 

Then for the first time in years, I couldn't help it as my frown broke away leaving a smile.  I looked over to see George watching me, a small smile tugging at his lips. 

"What?" I asked, tone light.

"You just look happy."

"I am, Georgie." I told him, my smile widening.  He beamed back at me before leaning down to kiss me chastely, and then taking the handle of my trunk from my grasp so he could take it up to his and Fred's room.  I rolled my wand between my palms as I watched him go up the winding stairs.

The rest of the Weasleys were putting all their belongings in order, some of the kids settling down in the living room by the roaring fire Mrs. Weasley had started.  George came bounding down the steps before taking my hand, bowing slightly, then kissing my hand. 

"Will you walk into my parlour? 'Tis the prettiest little parlour that you ever did spy; The way into my parlour is up a winding stair, and I have many curious things to show you when you are there." He said. I looked at him for a long moment before I realized what he was doing. 

"Oh no, no, to ask me is in vain. For who goes up your winding stair ne'er come down again." I replied, suppressing my smile, putting my free hand to my heart for dramatic effect. 

"I'm sure you must be weary, dear, with soaring up so high; Will you rest upon my little bed? There are pretty curtains drawn around; the sheets are fine and thin, And if you like to rest awhile, I'll snugly tuck you in!" George was grinning now.  I laughed. 

"That actually sounds nice!" I replied. 

"I'm surprised you knew that poem." He said.

"The Spider and the Fly, Mary Howitt.  I must've read it a thousand times!" 

"Mum used to read it to Freddie and me."

"Your mum has great taste in children's literature!" I noted.  He laughed softly. 

"Surprisingly."

"Surprisingly?" We both turned to see Mrs. Weasley, hand on hip and tea towel in hand, smiling softly at the pair of us. 

"Mrs. Weasley!" I beamed and bounded over to hug her. 

"Ah, Iris we've missed you 'round 'ere!" She told me as I pulled back to look at her. "It's great to have you back." I stepped away from her, still grinning, her expression mirroring mine. 

"I'm so happy to be back!" I exclaimed. She smiled, cheeks rosy. 

"I'll let you pair go get settled, dinner will be ready in an hour or so." She gave me one last pat on the cheek before continuing on to the kitchen. 

George took me by the hand again and led me up the stairs to the all too familiar room the twins shared.  My trunk was nestled in the corner on a small table.  The beds were made neatly for once. I went over to George's bed and sat on the edge, stretching and stifling a yawn. 

George plopped down next to me, wrapping his arms around my waist and puling me down onto the bed.  I laid my head on his chest, curling into him and closing my eyes.  I listened to his steady breathing which began to slow and even out, I knew he had fallen asleep.  It wasn't long before I too drifted off.  

I was happy.