Chapter 4- An Awkward Way to Wake Up

CHAPTER FOUR: AN AWKWARD WAY TO WAKE UP

     I turned around in the chair and pulled the pointed black hood over my face. 

"Hullo?" I asked back. I could hear the stranger padding down the stairs, and it wasn't long after that I realized who it was. "George?" I asked, head slightly muddled from the warmth of the fire.  George's flaming hair appeared before the rest of him. He was clad in cobalt flannels with a dark green "G" embroidered into his shirt pocket. His hair was sticking out every which way and he began rubbing his eyes tiredly. I pulled my hood back.

"Iris?" He asked "Aren't 'choo on bed rest till the end of the week?'

"I was. I got out on good behavior." George laughed and stifled a yawn.   

"That's good then." He said yawning again. Then as he got closer his face screwed up in a puzzled expression. "Are your eyes yellow? Or am I that tired..." He rubbed his eyes again.

Shit!  My eyes!  Tomorrow's the full moon! I glanced quickly at the mirrors that flanked the fire place, but I could barely make out the yellow in the orange light of the fire.

"I think it's just the fire George." I replied nonchalantly.

"Oh." He yawned. George walked towards me and flopped down on the couch. I crossed over to the couch and sat at the other end. 

"So why're you down here and not in your dorm? You made quite the racket down here." 

"I left the hospital wing and I'm locked out of the Girl's dorm until tomorrow." I replied.

George sighed heavily. "I just locked myself out of the Boy's dorm then." He said. I couldn't help laughing to myself.

"Wot? It's not that funny! I was tired!" He said smiling.

"I guess we both have to sleep on the couch then." I said.

"The same one?" He asks, disbelieving. 

"Do you want to sleep on the chair instead?"  I chuckle.

"No!"

"Then I'm afraid you haven't got much choice. I'm not that bad anyway!" I exclaimed, mock serious. 

"I guess not!" He snorted.

I felt my eyelids getting heavy. "Just stay on 'at side and I'll stay on this 'un." I said. George just nodded. Before I knew it, the edges of my vision got black and fuzzy, and the warmth of the roaring fire lulled me to sleep.

~

"IRIS! IRIS MERCURY!"

I jolted up and my head hit Ginny's who was standing over me. 

"Blimey Ginny! Whaddaya want?" I yelled back. 

"What are you doing?" She asked loudly.

"I was sleeping." I hissed.

"With George?" She hissed back.

"Wha-" I turned around and saw George tucked behind me. I was on his side of the couch. I jumped up and onto Ginny. George bolted up, obviously confused.

"Oh, g'morning Ginny." He yawned. Ginny stomped off to the girl's dorm. 

"What happened? She's never like this!" George said. I shrugged, glad he didn't know what had happened. I blushed scarlet.

"Nothing." I sang.

"You lied to me!" He exclaimed suddenly.

"What?"

"Your eyes are yellow!"  He said more quietly. 

"Are they?" I stuttered. "Must be a side effect of dementor attacks..." I covered. George frowned, not sure what to say back. 

"Fred and I are going to Hogsmeade today. Care to join us?" He asked.

"'Course! I've got nothing else to do." I agreed, completely forgetting tonight was the full moon.