Chapter 17

The first month of school went by as the first week of school. Everyone but the art teacher hated me, Zack tried to get me date him and I had got lots more missed calls from an unknown number. It was our second month back and one week till the Christmas holidays. At the moment I am laying in bed with the flu. I had just had to fight Alex to get him to go to school – he wanted to stay here with me but I wouldn’t let him. I didn’t want him missing school for me. It was now just after lunch and I sleep when something woke me up. It was like a faint bell in the back ground. ‘That’s odd. The last bell isn’t meant to go for another 20 mins.’ I slowly got out of bed and looked out the window to see... smoke. I then heard the door open and spun around to see Alex panicking. “What’s wrong? What happened?” I asked his panic worrying me. “Someone started a fire.” He said quickly. “We have to get out.” I ran over to him grabbing a coat and my shoes on the way – luckily my pj’s are a baggy top name ably Alex’ and leggings. We got out the building and went to go and meet the others. My phone started to vibrate in my pocket. I quickly got it out and looked at the screen to find a text from Jason.

Text:

You know I always loved fire, Stitch. Happy Christmas.

I looked down at the phone in my numb hands. Jason had started the fire. Jason had almost killed everyone. He had almost killed me and Alex. I looked up to find Alex’s eyes glued to my face.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. I said nothing but lifted the phone up for him to see. I saw his eyes widen as he read the text.

“What do we do?” I said in a quiet voice.

“I don’t know” he replied. I looked back down as I felt tears trickle down my checks. Alex wrapped his arms around me. I hadn’t noticed that I was also shaking violently.

“It’ll be ok.” He soothed, his hot breath tickling my ear.

“It won’t. This is serious; he’s trying to kill people because of me.” I sobbed. I hadn’t noticed the other boys in our group looking worriedly at me. Suddenly there was a load explosion and one of the glass windows of the science labs smashed. Shards of glass flew everywhere – only just missing me, but catching my check in the process. I quickly moved my head to the side and into Alex’s chest. He slowly stroked my hair soothingly as I silently cried into him. Suddenly I felt a firm hand on my shoulder I looked up to find the school nurse who guided us to the safety area. I then heard sirens everywhere and in my confused daze I noticed the nurse examining my check. There was then a stinging sensation on my check as she used disinfectant on my wound. I whimpered lightly and Alex tightened his grip on my hand.

When she was finished I got up to find a crowed of paramedics circled around someone. Through the mass of bodies I saw blond hair. The person then turned around and I saw Tom his face looked as if he was in a great deal of pain. I made my way over to him but retreated back feeling sick as I saw his wounded shoulder. There was blood everywhere and hundreds of tiny shards of glass imbedded in his skin. The people around him were removing the glass and cleaning the wound before they bandaged up his shoulder. When they were done they all went off to look after the other injured students and teachers and I made my way over to his side.

“How do you feel?” I asked quietly.

“I’ve been better.” He said jokingly. We then heard the headmaster with a speaker phone. “Everyone go back to your dorms and pack. You are all being sent home until further notice.” There was a scurry as everyone retreated.

When we got up to our dorm it looked like it had done when we left. I went over to my bed and grabbed my suitcase from under it before I went around collecting all my stuff and putting it in the big bag. When we were all packed we made our way down to the cars that the school had ordered to come and pick everyone up.

“Do you guys want to come to mine?” I asked. Everyone answered with yes’s so I texted my parents letting them know. I then got a call, seeing my mum’s caller ID I quickly answered. I heard her worried voice down the other end off the line. Once I had calmed her down I explained to her about everyone coming over, she agreed and told me that her and dad were on business trips and would be back in a week. When we had finished we said our goodbyes and hung up.

The car finally got home and everyone got out. I unlocked the door and let everyone in before showing them to their rooms. When everyone was settled in I turned to Alex. “You have a choice of rooms.” I told him.

“Oh” he replied. “Either you can have one of the spare rooms or my room.” I told him.

“Um could I sleep in your room?” He asked.

“Sure. This way.” I made my way to my room with him behind me. When I got there I stopped at the door to let Alex catch up with me. When he was stood next to me I opened the door and let him in. I dropped my bag and Alex closed the door behind him. I sat down on the bed and Alex came and sat next to me before slowly laying down and pulling me on top of him before kissing me passionately. The doorbell rang so I tried to get up but Alex kept pulling me back down. “I have to get that, come on.” He grudgingly let go of me and we walked down stairs to open the front door to find Sam.

“Hey.” She said cheerily.

“Hey. Jamie’s here. He’s upstairs third door on the right.” She walked past me and slowly made her way upstairs. I closed the door behind me and walked into the kitchen to start making dinner, as it was 7pm. When dinner was cooked I walked out to find lots of hungry looking people sitting in the dining room waiting for me.

“I guess you all realised I was cooking.” They all nodded eagerly so I went back into the kitchen and started to bring plates of food out. I everyone ate quietly and when they were done I took all the plates back into the kitchen and put them in the dish washer. Everyone started to retreat back to their rooms. So Alex and I went up to my room.