29 · The Heart on His Sleeve

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

29 · The Heart on His Sleeve

While I was sorting out documents in the front office for aide this Thursday, my phone wouldn't stop beeping with incoming texts. There was so much temptation to reach for it, but I had to be careful. The classroom was one thing, but the front office was another. Carefully keeping a close eye on my surroundings, the other student aide, Luis, was too focused on his work. There seemed to be no faculty around either. Using this as my chance, I quickly unzipped my backpack and snatched my cellphone.

Scrolling through, my eyes widened at the seven text messages that were all sent from Mikaela O'Connor. Once I read through her texts, a knowing smile immediately grew on my face seeing the all-caps and exclamation points in her messages. 

Mikaela texted that someone decided to leave her a gift on her desk during second period. She sent me a picture—it surprised me how she got away with that, knowing how strict her teacher was—of a coffee cup.  

There was a handwritten note along side the cup that read: After weeks of studying for the AP exams, you deserve a break. Here's a cup of your favorite. Smile, you're finally done! 

Chuckling at this, I read how excited yet confused she was. She went on asking if I knew anything because she couldn't recognize the handwriting and if she should drink it. Knowing Mikaela's wild imagination, she probably thought that someone was out to poison her.  

The reason why I was acting so was because today was the day Eric was finally going to ask Mikaela to prom. We—the guys of Soulatté and I—all agreed that the best time for Eric to make his move was when Mikaela was done focusing on her exams.  

This was just the very start of Operation: "Ask Mikaela to Prom". 

Of course, I had to act like I had no idea what was going on. 

It made sense that Mikaela wasn't able to notice the handwriting. It was written by Eric's coworker, Kenneth. The way Kenneth initially wanted to word the message was something all of us laughed at, but Eric was too embarrassed to allow such a thing.  

After texting her back that I had no idea but adding how that was a kind gesture, Mikaela wrote back seconds later, explaining that she would get to the bottom of this before mentioning that the drink was delicious. I was about to text Eric about the current progress until I heard someone clearing their throat sharply. Seeing this as a sign to get my attention, I hesitated to lift my eyes off the screen.  

Releasing an uneasy smile, it was the secretary of the office, Mrs. Rodriguez. She was a middle aged lady with medium length brown hair and wore these wire-rimmed glasses that always slide down her nose bridge. Her attentive brown eyes were directly staring at the cellphone in my hands. 

The petite yet fearless lady placed her hands on her hips before asking, "Is there an emergency for you to use your cellphone, Olivia?" 

From the corner of my eyes, Luis had his lips stuck in a tight line as he tried to mind his own business. Even though I was in the middle of getting scolded, I wanted to laugh because in the beginning of the year, Luis was the one who constantly got caught on his phone. After getting into trouble enough times, Luis never set his eyes on his cellphone during aide ever again. 

However, I shook my head and said, "N-nothing, Mrs. Rodriguez. Sorry, it won't happened again." 

Mrs. Rodriguez held her hand out. "You can get your phone after school." 

Nodding my head, I watched her walk away and disappear once she made a turn on the corner. Placing my hands on my cheeks, I released a miserable groan and looked over at Luis who witnessed the entire thing. He gave me an encouraging smile to lift my mood.