04 · The Irony of a Trade Off

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

04 · The Irony of a Trade Off

As expected.

Drew Annoying Larkin 2:47 pm: Can't make it. Sry, owe u later! 

Once I finished reading Drew's text, I didn't bother to answer back and shook my head. Glancing around the nearly empty parking lot of our school, I picked up my school bag and DSLR camera before hanging them around my right shoulder. To be honest, I wasn't surprised that Drew flaked.

Also, I wasn't completely upset — more on the fact that he made me wait for him for over half an hour. 

Luck was on my side because I didn't have to spend the rest of the afternoon with that obnoxious football player. 

Growing more pleased about the situation, I figured that I should go home and cook something for Mom before she got back from work. Mikaela was out possibly rekindling her relationship with Trevor, and Eric was busy training Joshua at the café.

Since Mom used the car for work, I took the public bus home every now and then. The idea of public transportation wasn't as bad as people judged it to be. The bus drivers on my route were very friendly and made sure that no creeps would bother others during the ride. 

Before taking a seat near the front, I greeted Mr. Martin with a grin.

"How was your day, Olivia?"

Mr. Martin was a very polite, elder gentlemen. He reminded me of a cute little grandpa you'd see wearing a huge cardigan and playing chess in the park. 

"Manageable. I can't believe it's already February."

As the bus door closed, Mr. Martin chuckled before he reminded, "You're still very young, Olivia. Will it be Remy's today?"

Hearing Remy's placed an empty void in my stomach. Mr. Martin must have assumed to go there since I was carrying my camera. 

I was still on the crossroads whether or not I should continue my internship there. Mom suggested that it wasn't necessary to stay, but I had no definite answer yet. Even though I had been at Remy's for nearly two years, I felt like my time there was up. On top of that, I did need all the free time to come up with a perfect idea for the contest.

My voice went hoarse. "Just home, Mr. Martin. Thanks."

Mr. Martin observed me closely with his sky blue eyes before he nodded in response.

Throughout the bus ride, I kept thinking of possible ideas for the contest. One by one, I would mentally throw them into the trash can. Sighing in frustration, I was lacking complete inspiration. In my film photography class today, I looked back at old portfolios in hopes that something would ignite in my head, but nothing. 

All of a sudden, my cellphone started to buzz against the somewhat uncomfortable bus seat. Reaching for it, I didn't expect the caller to be Eric. 

I answered, "Hey, what's up?" 

Eric sounded puzzled. "Hey. By any chance, do you know where Joshua is? He hasn't shown up."

"Hold on." 

I cupped my cellphone once I realized that Mr. Martin reached the bus stop closest to my neighborhood. Giving Mr. Martin my thanks, he waved me a goodbye, and I placed my cellphone back to my ear.

"Sorry, just got off the bus. No, I haven't. You try calling him?"

"No answer. This isn't going to look good with my parents."