24 · The Tangled Confrontations

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

24 · The Tangled Confrontations

I was in a state of panic. 

The police station in Callaway Village wasn't very large to begin with since we were dealing with a small town, but it still didn't change the fact that Joshua and I were at a police station.  

Everyone working there had their curious eyes on us. Some of them made it obvious that they were curious about my current appearance. I was probably the first to get arrested in pajamas there. As we trailed behind the officer, he was getting an absolute delight of the "criminals" he caught lurking in the night which, unfortunately, had to be us.  

"Sit here," Officer Laughlin instructed, pointing to five plastic chairs that were aligned against the wall. 

The officer would choose the chairs that were directly facing the entire work area of the police station. Sighing as I sat a seat away from Joshua because the officer wouldn't allow us to sit next to each other, these were the seats of shame. 

My head was honestly throbbing at how I couldn't wrap my finger around the events of tonight. The truth about Joshua. Being chased by those group of men. Being accused and taken to the police station. Things always had their way of coming full circle from what I noticed. 

After I closed my eyes and ran my fingers through my hair, the officer had walked off somewhere, leaving us alone. Glimpsing over my right, Joshua was looking at me. Through his expression, I picked out how bothered and distracted he was. Although he smiled, it expressed something different. 

Joshua Anderson wasn't able to cover his emotions at the time. 

He was just as afraid as I was. 

"We're screwed, aren't we?" I claimed loosely, trying to uplift the mood. 

A sense of ease escaped from him, and he nodded. "I think we just made it to America's Most Wanted list." 

Despite the humiliating situation we were in, I laughed.  

It wasn't long before I heard Joshua chuckling softly as well. The reason for us being here was absolutely juvenile. We should be out there trying to stop those group of men. Well, with some help. I only hoped that the officer wouldn't make a big deal out of it and resort to calling our parents. The thought sent shivers up my spine because I would never hear the end of it with my dad, and I felt horrible about Mom having to worry about me. 

"We're going to be fine, Olivia," Joshua guaranteed, stopping my train of worries. 

Casting my attention back to him, I answered, "I'm not worried about being here right now, but what about those people, Joshua? What if they come back?" 

Noticing how his face abruptly stiffened at the reminder, I felt guilty, but it was difficult to shake it all off. Knowing that they have been bothering Joshua before and after the alley incident didn't settle well in my stomach. 

"They won't bother you," his voice held solemn," they won't." 

"And, what about you?" I asked, noting that this was the second time Joshua didn't speak of his behalf.  

Joshua gulped down once more, and his eyes jumped away in an unsure manner. 

"I'll be fine," he rushed, the amount of hesitancy overpowered his voice. 

"Josh—" 

"Hello, may I have your attention, please?" A feminine voice entered the conversation.