03 · The Domino Effect

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

03 · The Domino Effect

There was always this pattern that occurred continuously in my life. When one bad thing happened, everything else followed along and hopped along the train of bad events.

As the three of us watched my locker buddy — this so called "Joshua Anderson" — walk inside the café, I wanted to attack the guy like a desperate lion starving for food. The white short sleeve button up and black pants he wore made it clear that he was the one who was getting the job interview. The get-up was Soulatte Café's regulated standards.

You had to be kidding me. 

And to make matters better, my assumptions were right. 

Eric's mom noticed the incoming guest from the counter, and her welcoming smile appeared a millisecond after. The three of us immediately flipped back around to discuss. 

Mikaela whispered loudly with surprised eyes, "Olivia, you're telling me it was Joshua Anderson?"

"Yes! Who the fuck is he anyway? Do not tell me he's an undercover celebrity, or I swear if you say he's a vampire I'm going to —"

Eric hushed the both of us down. "Olivia, this isn't the stuff you like to read on a daily — Hey! Ow!" 

Mikaela was holding back as much as she could to not laugh obnoxiously at the way I grabbed Eric's right ear the moment he decided to taunt me.

When Mikaela regained composure, she gazed her attention at me. "Don't get mad, but you sure it's him? From what I heard, Joshua rarely uses his locker, let alone walks the hallways." 

When I shot Mikaela a look for her lack of belief, she blinked in shock as if I was supposed to know who Joshua Anderson was. 

Eric decided to throw in an explanation as he rubbed his ear, "Joshua's a quiet guy. Student council says he's mysterious, and there's not much to say about him because there's nothing to say. He's in my Calculus BC class, but he rarely talks unless asked to. I guess we shouldn't be too surprised that you don't know him."

"He's not bad though… his eyes are absolutely mesmerizing," Mikaela freely confessed. 

Taken back by her words, I reminded, "Hey, what about Trevor?"

Our conversation made a rapid swerve and circulated around Mikaela's football boyfriend of two years, Trevor Greene. 

Identifying the look in Eric's eyes, I knew that he never approved of Trevor. They were polar opposites. Eric was the suave, collective guy that girls spoke about while Trevor was the repulsive, party boy only Mikaela was able to tame. He did treat Mikaela nicely from what I noticed, but there was something that Eric could not accept about Trevor. 

The tint in Mikaela's blue-green eyes gave it away that they weren't exactly on lovey-dovey terms right now. It happened a lot. 

"We're on a break," she plainly replied before shifting gears, "anyway, we have more important things to discuss." 

Eric's attention was taken away once his mom called out for him. 

Quickly standing from his seat, he murmured, "I think she wants me to interview him now. Should I give him a hard time, Olivia?"

As much as I wanted to plant revenge on the guy, it didn't feel right if Eric treated him differently. Everyone should be given a chance in life, even if he did insult me. Shaking my head, I would let the guy prove himself because I wanted to see him try. Mikaela teased me gently for the sudden change of heart, and I simply stuck my tongue out in return. There was a proud smile on Eric's face before he left to meet my locker buddy.