08 · The Tears of the Nurse

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

08 · The Tears of the Nurse

Taking up on Eric's words, I visited Soulatte Café on Sunday to finish my leftover homework there. 

Mom was working again, and if I stayed in my room, I would have gotten nothing done because of the distracting mechanisms known as television and the computer. Even though I wanted to catch up with Grandma Lilith, she had a flight back home that Saturday night. She promised to make it to my graduation though. 

I did invite Mikaela to meet up, but she reminded me that it was family day for her. The O'Connor's would declare every Sunday a family bonding day. Although Mikaela was embarrassed by it, I thought it was sweet that her family dedicated at least one day of the week to connect.

When I got to the café around five in the afternoon, it was packed with people that ranged from students and middle aged couples. The good thing about Eric's family café was no matter how young or old the customers were, the noise level stayed calm and relaxing. Searching for Eric, he wasn't working at the front.

Instead, it was Joshua. 

Joshua was in the middle of taking a customer's order. However, his emerald green eyes glanced at me briefly before he returned his attention back to the customer. Grabbing the open seat by the window, I turned back around and nearly experienced a heart attack when I found Eric behind me. 

Eric's eyes widened similarly, but he laughed out an apology, "Sorry about that. You okay over here?"

I nodded. "Of course, it's my favorite spot. You guys are pretty busy today."

He sighed. "A little too hectic. My parents are showing my grandma around, so we're short on staff. Oh yeah, halmeoni has those candies she always gives you guys." 

Another reason why I loved Eric's grandma was all the little treats she would bring back for Mikaela and me.

A little too excited, I beamed, "No way! I love them. I'm excited to see her again." 

My friend chuckled before adding that he better head back to help Joshua and the other guys.  

Following behind Eric, I decided to get in line before it got even longer. The cashier was still Joshua, and the anticipation grew every time I moved closer and closer. When I was about four people away, I noticed that the bruising on Joshua's face had nearly faded away. Joshua wore a regular bandaid this time to cover up the cut while he worked.  

Remembering that trademark, smiley-face bandaid on Joshua's cheek made me fight the smile that tried to surface.  

As soon as the two customers ahead finished ordering, another employee came up to Joshua and asked to switch places. It was Kenneth. He was a lot shorter than Joshua, but what stood out from Kenneth was his frost blue eyes that contrasted his dark hair. Kenneth was best known for his charming personality. Joshua stuck to the plan and ended up going to the far right of the counter to complete the orders. 

Disappointment tickled me a bit, but I shook it off. Sneaking a glance at Joshua, he was busily working on the drinks that I didn't notice Kenneth was calling me next. Snapping out of it, I looked straight ahead and was greeted by the barista's welcoming grin. 

"Hey Olivia! Good to see you." 

I smiled. "Hi Kenneth, how have you been?" 

"Busy, but I've been great. Senior year treating you well?" The second year college student questioned.