Chapter 3

Warnings: Angst. 

With you and the unconscious King's return, your family wanted to know more of the extent of his injuries

With you and the unconscious King's return, your family wanted to know more of the extent of his injuries. All you could tell is what you knew so far and that was very little.

Asking for your children to be escorted caused Mala to cry, "I want to know Mama!"

"I know baby, I will tell you later but for now I have to speak with the adults."

Folding her arms, she stomped out of the throne room with tears streaming down her cheeks. Abdul just looked back at you and followed in the direction of his big sister and their nanny.

"I feel bad but they have seen and heard enough." You said, rubbing your temples. "You are doing the right thing." Ramonda squeezed your hand and took her place beside you. It felt odd to be front and center, sitting in the spot were T'Challa usually sat.

The room slowly filled with members of the council, who were called for an emergency meeting. All you could do was stare at your feet, blankly while murmurs of the King's health surrounded you. Ramonda noticed your distance, "Maya?"

You looked up, "Yes, Queen Mother?"

"We are ready." Nodding, you looked on to the members whose eyes held more questions than concern. 

"Thank you all for being here. Let us get right to it-"

You explained the severity of T'Challa's condition, "He jumped in front of me-" The statement was barely above a whisper as the memory flashed in your mind. Hot tears threatened to spill over the brim of your eyes, "The bullet pierced his chest and grazed his heart and somehow curved to his spine. He is still being treated as we speak."

Everyone nodded and waited for you to continue, "For the time being, I am the current ruler and would appreciate as much cooperation from you all-" You scanned the members to emphasize how serious you were, "Because God knows I do not have the time for the petty scrabbles. So if you do not like the thought of me taking the throne temporarily, please leave."

The sternness in your voice held enough weight to make even the most stubborn council members stay quiet. "My husband and your King is still fighting for his life and his children need their mother, so-"

Ramonda rubbed your back, encouraging you to continue "Just please, all I ask of you is your well wishes and cooperation." 

You stood up, "Meeting adjourned."

The members and royal family were a bit stunned that you cut the meeting so short and honestly expected more. You wanted to give them more but your priority was your children, why should they be the last ones to know the status of their own father's health, it wasn't right.

Malaika's soft sobs could be heard in her room and Abdul's constant sniffles as well. You peaked in and saw them comforting each other in a warm embrace. The sight alone was too much for your heart, "Babies?"