32

Ali's POV

I'm looking around me, searching the referee, waiting for them to give us the final whistle. But he won't do it. Brazil still has the ball around the center of the field, hunting for their last goal. It's 2-2, we are in extra time. But when Brazil begins to move and begins to start a new attack, the whistle blows.

We are going for penalties in the final. 

Penalties. In the final of the World Cup in France. Here we go. Please let's not fuck this up.

But we got this as a team. 

Alex, Tobin, Chris, Pinoe, and me. The five who have to bring it home by shooting the ball in the goal from the penalty spot. 

We look each other in the eyes and know we are giving all we have to win this thing. We have to. We have no choice. 

Debinha, Thaís, Raquel, Beatriz, and Marta are the five women on the other side. 

I search for Ash, but she is sitting on the field with her notebook for her. I know she is trying to keep her nerves down and preparing herself for what's coming. Examing which player is gonna shoot at which side of the goal. So she can make the saves she needs to make. All I do is give her a pat on the shoulder, knowing I will speak to her later. There is nothing I can do now. Well, make a goal may be good for the team.  

So let's do that.

We take our places on the field as a team, waiting for the first Brazilian to walk to the penalty spot.

Debinha. Goal  

Alex. Goal

1-1

Thaís. Goal.  

Tobs. Missed. Fuck.

2-1

Raquel. Save from Ashlyn.  Yes, babe.

Chris. Goal. 

2-2

Beatriz. Goal. Fuck you bitch.

Pinoe. Goal.

3-3

Marta. Save Ashlyn. Well done Ash!

My turn. Ohoh.

I walk to the spot. Lay down the ball and do not look the Brazilian keeper in the eyes. I say to myself I'm going for the upper left and take my place behind the ball, waiting for the whistle. 

The whistle blows. I look up for the last time, take my steps to the ball and watch it fly in slow motion to the upper left corner. The keeper chooses the right side and I see her hands going to the ball. She is going to get it. It's not going in.

But instead, the ball goes in, the keeper doesn't catch the ball. She taps the ball against the crossbar and the ball goes over the line. 

It went in. I scored. It's 3-4 in penalties. We fucking won the World Cup for the 4th time. 

The first thing I can do is run to Ashlyn. I jump in her arms while the rest of the team runs over us and make us fall to the ground. We end up in a doggy pile. We won the World Cup. My last World Cup.

Everything was against us this match. Bad weather, game delayed. An own goal. An injury for Becky. 

But it doesn't matter right now. Because we fucking won it.