Chapter 30

As the sun rose on a new day, Kaylan said goodbye to his nephews and daughter. Leaving them with the same people his father had trusted to protect him and his brother. Knowing this was the last time he would see them alive he had spent the night surrounded by rituals and war cries, huddling them against him. Telling them he loved them and would find their father. Asking them to be brave and grow strong.

He had visitied Manu who was awake for a few short minutes, unable to talk but Kaylan reassured him they were going to war and would rescue his brother and the others held captive. Manu was to gather his strength and help those left behind to protect the women and children. Kaylan knew orders would give Manu a purpose in life; he would fight to retain his strength. He knew the women were fierce warriors and should anyone stumble upon the cloaked village, their life would be forfit as there were no strangers welcome here from today.

"Find our sons, kill the sorceress and return home," the Elder ordered as the horses jostled in line eager to get away. Kaylan felt strange sat astride one when he could assume the shape should he choose, but he had to conserve his strength for battle and wished he had some idea where to start the search for his mother.

He looked around watching couples say their goodbyes. He felt a nagging at his subconscious that he could ignore no longer.

"Pow, do you see my wife?"

"Yes, she is beside you, pleading with you not to go. She knows you sense her."

"Can you help me see her?"

"I can try," he reached out a hand to touch Kaylan.

Kaylan's vision shimmered, he blinked a few times to adjust before feeling the tug of a hand on his leg. Turning his head slowly, afraid, yet desperate to see her again. Her tear filled, green eyes took his breath away the moment she came into view. She was so beautiful, how could his mother take her from him, she was an innocent.

"Please don't go," she sobbed. "Stay here." Her voice, he had missed it so much and could hardly believe he was blessed to see her, let alone feel her touch and hear her voice. It was a disguised gift from the god who was helping her, he knew that it was a way of acknowldgeing his having paid homage. "Stay, please, stay," she pleaded.

"That is not my fate," he whispered in case the boys were near. "I will be with you soon."

"You cannot give up your life, you cannot leave our daughter," her hands grasping his and attempting to pull him from the horse.

"There is no where safer than here. She is protected, warm and fed. I cannot offer her that outside of this village and I cannot leave my brother or my friends to the same fate as you."

Tahira climbed onto the front of Kaylans horse so fast he barely had time to register her move until her legs wrapped around his waist. Clasping his face in her hands, she pressed a kiss to his lips.

Kaylan knew he should push her away, he was undeserving of her kiss but this time together was a gift and knowing his life would end soon he kissed her back.

"I love you, husband," she said pulling away to look him in the eye.

He smiled, "Kaylan," he reminded her as he had all through their marriage 'Call me Kaylan, not husband'.

She laughed, he had missed that laugh but soon her voice change to urgency, spilling words so fast as though she was about to disappear, "I love you, Kaylan. My husband," kissing him again.

"I love you. Tahira, my wife," he replied the moment they broken their kiss. "Mother of our children." She began to sob, her head tucked into his neck allowing him to offer her comfort as he held her close and pressed kisses to her silky hair.