LORDOSIS Chapter 9

Kaylan was called from his bed in the middle of the night and told me to rest. I hardly remember opening my eyes to listen before going straight back to sleep again.

I woke desperate to use the bathroom but exhausted as I stumbled there without opening my eyes. For the rest of the night I lay in pain, constantly feeling desperate to use the bathroom but when I went it was only a tiny dribble and not a bladder full. It stung more and more each time and the length of time I could hold the urge to use the bathroom got less and less. Until eventually I had to hold a cloth to my mouth so I could hide my cries when I went.

I had held a cloth between my legs to try to help but it didn't I was in pain and alone. I pulled a nightdress on and wrapped a blanket around me for warmth before leaving the room to go and find someone.

There was no noise, it was deathly silent and as I walked the pain grew and I had to stop half way across the garden to squat and could not stop myself from releasing that that bit of urine that felt like razors on the way out. I made my way out of the gate and through the city, stopping one more time and fought the urge to urinate. It was pitch black and silent as I stumbled ahead barefoot to Endeya's house. I knocked the door and started to cry with relief that I made it there but also for the pain that was burning within me. She didn't answer; I knocked louder and called her name. I heard voices and feet approach the door. A man answered the door, her husband.

"Endeya please," I said through my tears. She appeared beside him and seeing my tears she pulled me into her arms and held me as I broke down.

Her husband closed the door behind me and went back to bed as Endeya asked me what was wrong. She explained that it happened to most women and was part of losing your virtue. She made me a special drink that had helped her through it but warned me it could come back again and again but less once you have a baby. I took the drink and put the warm wet cloth between my legs as we sat in front of the fire. When I felt the urge to pass water I had to fight it and try to hold as much as I could. I drank what she gave me, it was not very pleasant but I would give anything to escape this torture. When I needed the toilet so bad that I couldn't hold it I was to urinate on the cloth. Endeya checked it whilst replacing it with another.

"You are bleeding from bearing down to hard," she said. "Try not to go. Fight against the pain."

The pain in my side grew and she forced me to drink more. Eventually as the night passed into day she and I fell asleep in front of the fire. Woken by the sound of the door knocking but too tired and scared to move for fear of pain.

"Kaylan," I heard her husband say in shock.

"Is Tahira with you?" Kaylan asked.

"She is your wife?" Endeyas husband asked.

"Yes," Kaylan answered as he was shown in.

"She is unwell. She came to my wife for help," he said.

"Shhhhh," I heard Endeya say as I tried not to move or wake.

"How is she?" I heard Kaylan whisper behind me as Endeya remained cuddled up to my back and I lay facing the fire.

"She is in a lot of pain," she answered. "I have broken her temperature but she is passing blood in her water and it could mean an infection."

"I will fetch a doctor," Kaylan whispered as knelt by my head.

"They will not be able to help. She is a new bride and this happens to us all," she informed him. "She needs rest, warmth and plenty of water to help clear the infection. Lots of warm towels to hold between her legs and ease the pain."

I was too exhausted to listen to anymore and when I next woke I was surprised to still find myself at Endeyas house. I moved tentatively and felt the ache below but not half as bad as before. I sat up gently and saw Endeya asleep on the floor beside me. I tried to move without disturbing her but she woke and immediately assessed me with her eyes.

"You have to be careful when you pass water again, gently, and don't bear down," she said. "It will hurt again and get worse there is no stopping that but you can prevent the pain being worse by going slow."

"My husband," I asked.

She nodded over to a bench, he was asleep with the baby against his chest. "He is very good with her. You are a lucky bride," she said and nodded her approval of my husband.

"I know," I said smiling.

"How did..." she said nodding over to him.

I knew what she was referring to sex and if I had managed to stop him turning me over. I shook my head and sighed. She smiled and rolled her eyes mouthing the word 'men'. We both laughed gently.

"Here take this drink again," she said going to fetch me some more of her medicine. I grimaced but swallowed it as I saw Kaylan approaching with the baby snuggling into him.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Better," I replied.

"I'm sorry I had to leave," he said as he sat down on the floor beside me with the baby. "I was worried when you weren't in bed but thought you might come here," he said as the baby tried to grab his lips and he playfully chewed on her fingers.

"I looked for you but there was no one awake and I.... well I came here," I explained. "Endeya has been wonderful," I informed him as I looked up at my friend. She smiled as she cooked some food and the baby made loud 'la,la,la' noises and giggled as Kaylan played with her.

"You look tired," he said as he reached out to stroke my hair and the baby decided to lean forward and chomp up and down on his arm. He didn't object at all. He laughed as she stared ahead and chomped away on him using his arm to cut her new teeth.

"You are very good with babies," I said smiling.

"This is easy as I can hand her back and go rest when I want. When we have our own I am not sure I will be this good all the time," he said making my heart glow and Endeya giggle.

"Eat," Endeya said placing food on the table and bending down to take the baby.

Kaylan helped me up as we sat at a table to eat and the baby fed from her mothers breast. Kaylan didn't even flinch. It was not permitted for women to feed their children in front of men where we came from. Here it obviously was as Endeya and Kaylan spoke about the food and how her market stall was in need of repair after a fight broke out in the city yesterday. He knew of the fight and reassured her that the matter was settled and he would send someone to mend her stall.

I ate the food still scared of the pain I felt niggling at me. When Kaylan and I left he was given medicine to make for me and left her some coins. She refused at first but he would not hear of it and offered to care for the baby whenever she needed our help or just catch up on her sleep.

We walked back to the gate and I felt the pain growing worse again. He noticed and hurried us along. Once back in our room he had a warm bath and fire set for me as I lay on the bed sipping warm sweet tea.

When I used the bathroom my pain began to grow worse again as I had been warned. I lay in the bath and the heat worked to alleviate the pain. After my bath, I was propped up in bed and covered in blankets. Hannah had helped as she had suffered herself in her early days of marriage. She told me to relax more during sex and keep in slow and loving instead of rushing for that release.

As the day wore on I napped where I could and Kaylan kept me company in between his conference with visitors. Endeya even came to visit and fell asleep with me in bed whilst Kaylan took the baby to show Hannah. When her husband arrived in search of her he laughed at us both in bed just as he had left us this morning. The baby smiled at the sight of her father and he was just as good with her as Kaylan was. I looked down at my stomach and wished for a baby.