Chapter 29

Kaylan took himself away from everyone and knelt to pay homage to the moon. He thought he was alone but as he heard the foot steps he knew Gaer had followed him. For a moment he was annoyed as he wanted to be alone but he had to remind himself that the boy was bound to follow him, he was after all identical to his father and the boy was missing him. He also knew there was very little chance of the child seeing his father again, he was responsible for them now and had to teach them as much time as possible in the little time he had left with them. Starting with obedience.

"Come and pray Gaer," he said aloud to let the boy know he was aware of his presence.

Gaer hurried over and sat beside him.

"Kneel," Kaylan whispered.

"I have a bad knee," Gaer said pulling up the material to show Kaylan a scabby knee.

Kaylan lifted his shirt to show him all his injuries. "Now kneel," he had proven that pain was no excuse not to pray.

Gaer knelt and was surprised his knee didn't hurt as much he had imagined. He put it down to Pows wolf giving it a good licking when he hurt it, being chased by a stray wolf. He was bitten on his head and arm, which had hurt a lot but he didn't mind as it meant he got to cuddle up in bed with Pow's wife Lia, while the pack hunted down the wolf for hurting one of their own.

He missed his mummy, the smell of her skin, the sound of her heartbeat, and the way she stroked his hair and held him close. He had cried for his daddy when the wolf was biting him and he fought him off like he was taught. Crying for his mummy as he realised it hurt and saw the blood. She always cleaned him up if Ulf bit him. Lia found him up a tree with a bloody stick in his hand having used it to stab the wolf and scare him off. He was rushed back to the village in her arms as she cried out for help. Men ran forward dropping into wolf form escorting them to safety. Pow taking Gaer from Lia as he howled and gathered the pack to get the scent. When he returned that night he stayed in Wolf form to allow Gaer to take comfort from him and cleaned his wounds just like his father would. Reassuring him how brave he was and commending him for fighting like a warrior using a stick as a spear.

Gaer learnt the hard way not to sneak off to try and find his uncle, he would be back soon they promised... and here he was. Looking like daddy just a little different on the inside.

Kaylan tried to get into the mindset to pray, something he hadn't done since losing his wife. He was finding it very difficult to pay homage as he still held such contempt for the gods. He was also trying to ensure his prayer was heard as thanks for leading him to Ulf and not for his daughters birth as he didn't know if the god who helped his wife was a moon god. He would not risk endangering her.

Everytime he was nearly ready to commence prayer Gaer would cough, wriggle or start to hum with boredom. Again Kaylan controlled his anger and told him to sit still and be silent.

He reset his mind to calm and tried again. Gaer started to chew his bottom lip... lip smackingly loud. If Kaylan could have risked phasing into wolf he would have, and growled at the boy but instead he tried to block him out and centre himself.

Just as Kaylan was about to start prayers Gaer yelled, "Wait," and stood up, running to wee against a bush. That was it, he was about to lose his temper and tell him to go back to the village when Pow appeared with the Elders.

"Kneel," Pow commanded and Gaer hurried back to his spot and knelt properly ready for prayer.

"I will lead prayer. We will all prayer with you brother," an Elder announced as he knelt beside Kaylan and placed a hand on his back soothingly.

"Thank you," Kaylan replied as he watched Gaer start to wiggle again.

"Gaer if you cannot stay still during prayer you must leave," the Elder said. "The gods do not want to see you scratching your leg or listen to you cough."