LORDOSIS Chapter 19

I remained frozen to the spot and staring at Kaylan in astonishment for the longest time. I could not believe my eyes and swore blind his mother was playing tricks with my mind again. I had best get out of the room before she locked me in for days on end with no food or water. As I ran from the room I made a mental note to secretly store food and water in the room in case she ever tried it again.

I stayed in the harem hidden for days and spoke to no one. Endeya's daughter became sick so she stayed home to care for her and some of the other women worked on the market stall in her place so she kept her income. She had left word to say I could go visit if I was allowed but she was concerned his mother wouldn't allow it. I would not wish her wrath upon them so stayed away.

I lay in bed and again I had a fever and pain when passing water. Endeya and Kaylan had helped me through this before but now with everyone busy I was alone. I lay in pain and tried not to cry our as I passed a tiny bit of water and the pain stabbed through me. I lay in a crouched position as I was the most comfortable and waited for it to pass.

Days later I was still in pain. I had moments when it was too much to bear and others when I felt I was over the worst only for it to come back again with vengeance. I would have to find medicine. I forced myself to get up and go to the market. Everyone stared as I struggled to walk a few paces without limping in pain. I eventually made it the stall owned by the little boys father who had treated my wounds. He was not there but I was able to purchase the medicine from his apprentice. I made my way back to the harem and prepared my treatment and wondered where Endeya had been as I had not seen her or the others. Was the child still sick?

"Guard," I called.

The door opened.

"Please could you tell me how my friend and her daughter are as I didn't see them when I went to market?" I asked.

His eyes filled with sorrow and my heart stopped.

"Tell me!" I begged but feared the reply.

"The child is beyond help. Her illness is moving quickly she is not expected to last till morning," he replied.

The breath knocked from my lungs, as sobs rocked through my body.

"Why has no one told me?" I asked.

"Your husbands mother forbid it and the reason no one has returned here is because she has turned them out of the house," he replied.

"What else have I not been told? I command that you tell me," I said with authority.

The guard whispered very low, "Some say the child is dying as his mother has offered her as a sacrifice to the moon god. Her life taken so you will conceive her grandchild. It is also a punishment for Endeya as she interfered with your marriage and his mother has cursed her. She is too ill to care for her child or bake for her market stall. The bread does not rise, the oven does not heat and their well has run dry. It is a curse. Some say she will be released when the child dies but only so she can live with the loss of a child."

I ran from the room to find his mother, my mind filled with rage and panic. I forgot all the pain of own illness and ran through the house.

"Where is she?" I yelled to guards.

They didn't answer. I couldn't find her. I ran out into the garden, through the market to Endeya's house. Slamming through the door making everyone jump who had come to care for them.

"Endeya!" I cried as I ran forward falling at the side of her bed. She lay there barely able to move with her baby in her arms. The child chest moving quickly to take breaths.

"You came," she whispered and half smiled.

"Is it true?" I asked. "Are you cursed because of me?"

"There is no proof," she whispered breathless. "But the boy overheard and has been taken to safety by his father."

"Then it is true. I'm sorry I have not been sooner, I didn't know how ill you both were and I didn't want to risk her wrath but it seems I was already too late. I will beg her for mercy," I replied.

"She will not show mercy. We have already pleaded," Endeya's husband replied.

"Does Kaylan know?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"Give me the child Endeya," I said picking her up.

"No..." she replied but I had already run out of the house with her in my arms and back to the house.

"KAYLAN!" I screamed.

It was silent.

"KAYLAN!" I screamed running from room to room with her in my arms.

"What is all this noise about?" he asked as I found him in the library with his brother.

I couldn't speak instead I fell to my knees and held out the child in my arms and sobbed, "Please don't let her die because of me," I begged.

"What has happened?" he asked running to take the child.

"Your mother cursed Endeya and sacrificed the child to the moon god for our fertility," I sobbed.

"She... she wouldn't," he said astounded as he and his brother placed the baby in the table and assessed her.

"She was overheard by the boy. His father has take him to safety," I replied.

"Quickly," Kaylan replied as he rushed from the room with his brother. I ran after them and followed them back to Endeya's house. She was frantic but unable to give chase as she was bedridden. Her arms went out for her child as soon as she saw Kaylan. He handed her back and knelt beside the bed.

"I am so sorry Endeya. I will try to fix this. How long have you been ill?" he asked.

"Last day you were with Tahira in the garden," she whispered.

Both he and his brother rushed into the courtyard and looked up at the moon.

"Tahira must be with child or they would not be fading so fast. Mother is absent from the house as she is casting a shadow over the moon to speed it up the lunar cycle," Layton replied. "If the spell was cast a sacrifice still has to be made to appease the god."

I looked to the table in the courtyard and within seconds I had made the decision. I looked over to my friend sobbing as her baby was gasping for breath. I lifted the knife and plunged it into abdomen aiming for the womb.

"Tahira!" she screamed.

I fell to the floor and within seconds the agony consumed me as Kaylan pulled me up into his arms.

"NO!" he yelled. "Please no!" he said lifting me on to the table. Tears began to fall from his eyes.

"Make sure... it is done," I said trying to move the knife. "Our child and myself for them."

Kaylan placed his hand over the knife and pulled it to the side making me cry out in agony.

I fought for breath for a very few seconds and the last sounds I heard was screaming, a baby crying and my husband whispering he was sorry and telling me he loves me.

The last thing I saw was the moon.