LORDOSIS Chapter 27

"Pow, Kaylan is back," a scout declared.

Pow raised himself up and shared a look with his wife. He was not looking forward to this. He travelled down to the ridge to invite him in.

"You look tired," Pow said to the wolf.

Kaylan didn't phase back but instead signalled behind him to the trees. Ulf crept out in wolf form scared and timid.

"You found him!" Pow said in amazement.

Kaylan phased back into a man and took the clothes Pow handed him. Ulf was reluctant to phase back to human but eventually gave in. Wrapped in a blanket he sat between Pow's arms as Kaylan got on the back. Pow called the winds to hide their trail and rushed them towards the village.

"ULF!" the boys shouted as they saw him being passed down to Lia. They raced towards him but he turned his face away hiding into Lia's shoulder.

"Give a minute to readjust," she said to the boys as she carried Ulf in.

Pow rushed over to Ulf checking him all over and seeing the cuts and bruises on the boy. One would need stitches. He noted the collar marks on his neck and felt his anger flare.

"Where is Manu?" he asked as Kaylan walked into the hut.

"Three ridges back in the cave we played in as children. I couldn't get him here alone as he is injured and he insisted I bring Ulf to you tonight," Kaylan said looking at the moon.

"Get the riders," Pow ordered. "Kaylan rest, I will bring him back."

"What about..." Lia said but Pow was already back on his horse and racing off.

Ulf started to cry and Kaylan lifted him up to offer comfort.

"You are injured too," Lia said lifting up his top looking at the large wound on Kaylan's side. It was from a sword. She looked around assessing the rest. Arrow to the shoulder, deep cut to his paw...or hand as it was now. "How bad is Manu?" she asked.

"He was barely conscious and has lost a lot of blood," Kaylan replied.

Lia knew how close Pow was to his uncle Manu and prayed that he found him with enough strength left to fight for his life.

Ulf was already asleep in Kaylans arms, his head against his shoulder when the Elder arrived.

"Kaylan, let me see the boy. Is it true, did they collar him?" the Elder asked.

Kaylan nodded as the Elder checked the boy over as Pow had.

"Bring my things," the Elder ordered. "I will do it whilst he sleeps and I ask that you do the same before you collapse," he said to Kaylan.

"I'll stay awake to help with the boy," Kaylan replied.

Lia set up the table and other Elders joined them, each one looking Ulf with sympathy and horror.

"Light it," the Elder ordered and the ceremony began.

Ulf was already asleep with exhaustion and pain so when they used the medicine to render him unconscious his stressed and taut little body fell limp. As they cleaned his wounds, stitched him up and covered his body in oils to aid repair he didn't move a muscle. When they finished Lia had him moved to hut she had set up for Kaylan and the children on his return. The children were already settled there and it was adjoining their hut so Pow could keep an eye and she could feed the baby. Kaylan was very grateful and eventually lay down ready for his wounds to be treated. He didn't let them medicate him as he wanted to be alert for Manu's return. He stayed as still as possible. The pain on his face was evident and struggled with the stitches being pulled tighter she watched as he tried not to phase and the Elders forced him to hold form.

Finally it was over and he was helped back to bed in his hut with a view straight through to where they were. She could help clean up and prepared for Manu whilst watching over Kaylan and Ulf. Gaer appeared and was immediately fussed by the Elders as they hated to see him upset. Caolan has snuck into lie with Ulf a while ago and was now fast asleep.

The wait for Pow to come back seemed to take forever. Eventually they arrived. Pow rushing him in with the help of the others. He was unconscious. Manu didn't flinch as they set about his wounds. Pow stood watching intently as the Elders worked on his uncle and kept looking over at Kaylan who was still asleep as the Elders had medicated him the minute he closed his eyes. They didn't want him phasing with his stitches. Lia lifted Pow's arm and cuddled up to his chest to offer him comfort and support. When Manu's injuries were dealt with his was taken to the prayer hut to lay and repair whilst he was prayed for. Tonight was to be a celebration of a new moon instead it was prayers to that moon for the health of loved ones.

"What happened?" Lia asked Pow when everything was finished.

"I don't know the full story but from Kaylan's mind it was a battled to free them. They were being taken for sacrifice," Pow replied and sighed heavily.

"How will Kaylan take the news?" she asked worried.

"What news?" Kaylan asked behind her.

"You shouldn't be up yet," she replied.

"What news?" Kaylan asked again.

"Did you not find Layton?" Pow asked.

"No," Kaylan replied. "I can't find trace of him or his wife. I can't find her scent anywhere," he said sighing.

"There is reason for that brother," Pow replied.

"What... " Kaylan stopped as Pow nodded behind him. Knelt beside Ulf's bed weeping was Samala. As he went to step forward to speak to her Pow's hand reached out to warn him.

"She is dead brother," he announced knocking the wind out of Kaylans chest with this words, as tears filled his eyes.

"When?" Kaylan asked.

"Two days after you left," Tahira brought her here.

"She is with Tahira?" Kaylan asked confused.

"She was sacrificed," Pow said watched as Kaylan realised the horror of the situation not only for his brother and his wife but for the children.